Steve Jobs’ California home designated as historic property

RichardG

Honorary Master
An Icon who will sadly be missed! Apple lacks innovation.

$500 back in 1976 must have been like $50,000 in today's money

Polymathic

Honorary Master
is the bills gate garage a historic landmark. is the garage where Google was invented a historic landmark?

Nether

Expert Member
Maybe we should trace where ever he took a dump and make that historic too...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
An Icon who will sadly be missed! Apple lacks innovation.

$500 back in 1976 must have been like $50,000 in today's money
I enjoy my Apple products, and its incredibly wrong to say Apple lacks innovation, but under Tim they seem to have lost some of the theatricality that Steve brought to the table. Apple have been and still are great at packaging existing ideas into a product that people want.

And the $500 purchase in 1976 would only equate to about $2055 today.

koeksGHT

Dealer
I enjoy my Apple products, and its incredibly wrong to say Apple lacks innovation, but under Tim they seem to have lost some of the theatricality that Steve brought to the table. Apple have been and still are great at packaging existing ideas into a product that people want.

And the $500 purchase in 1976 would only equate to about $2055 today.
I feel Apple has strayed a bit after Jobs died, they are not the same, nothing innovative I have seen from them, they have peaked

Executive Member
I feel Apple has strayed a bit after Jobs died, they are not the same, nothing innovative I have seen from them, they have peaked
Actually quite a bit before Jobs died. I'd say they peaked at the iPhone 3G - since then it'd just followed the standard increases in technology year after year.

Dolby

Honorary Master
What was innovative in the past, when Steve Jobs was alive?

I don't see much of a difference in innovation between then and now TBH

Executive Member
What was innovative in the past, when Steve Jobs was alive?

I don't see much of a difference in innovation between then and now TBH
App store changed the landscape.

marine1

Honorary Master
Jeeesh Americans love Apple, wonder if they know its made in China?

abandonallhope

Expert Member
It's ridiculous.

There have been many, many people who achieved far greater things than Steve Jobs, without any of the worshipping fandom, and there will be many, many more.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
It's ridiculous.
How is a city in Silicone Valley putting a house where Steve Jobs and Woz started Apple computers on their list of historical properties ridiculous?

There have been many, many people who achieved far greater things than Steve Jobs, without any of the worshipping fandom, and there will be many, many more.
It doesn't prevent other houses being put on the list, does it?
Jeeesh Americans love Apple, wonder if they know its made in China?
Looks like they're going to start assembling some of their products in the US again.

Last edited:

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
How is a city in Silicone Valley putting a house where Steve Jobs and Woz started Apple computers on their list of historical properties ridiculous?
Totally agree. They started the personal computer revolution a while back and inherently changed how the world worked. If that is not historic I don't know what is.

It is rare for anybody to have triggered such a profound global affect, and most historic individuals we revere have not changed much

abandonallhope

Expert Member

It doesn't prevent other houses being put on the list, does it?
Ok to spell it out : It's not warranted. This is probably why you might think it is :
They started the personal computer revolution a while back
Are you sure about that ?

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Ok to spell it out : It's not warranted. This is probably why you might think it is :

Are you sure about that ?
Very sure. I am not saying they invented everything, but they did bring it out into the mainstream. Without apple, the IBM PC would never have been developed and people would have still be using variations of the Altair.

Wait a minute....why am I even engaging you on this? I don't like apple, but don't let my emotions get in the way of recognising their many accomplishments

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
If it wasn't for this guy Steve Jobs would still be living in a cave : / actually, we all would.
Drama much? But understand your point.

My point is that although Jobs was an arsehole, he still has achieved much, and he marketed himself well.

History is littered with great individuals who are forgotten. The ones who we remember are the ones who talked about their achievements and marketed themselves well

Baxteen

Honorary Master
this feels like we are watching Tesla vs Edison unfold and everyone is backing Edison because he made the product "mainstream"

WoZ should get the praise, he was the Genius.
Dennis Ritchie should get the praise.

but we live in a world where we idolize people for no real reason. and do not misunderstand me Jobs did achieve a lot, but it was over shadowed by patent lawsuits, credit stealing and smoke and mirror light shows where nothing special happened, because that was 90% of his career.

Sad thing is I have no issue with the House becoming a monument. this way iSheep will know what direction to lay their iMats out in so they can iPray facing said house, and I have nothing against people practicing silly religions.
but Jab aside it really does not effect me in any way shape or form, just as long as the Woz gets credit when it is due, Gates gets credit when it is due and so on.