Steve Wozniak warns students about Artificial Intelligence

wrathex

Expert Member
Computers will soon make us irrelevant, Wozniak warns MSU graduates
By: Jeffrey Van Camp May 7, 2011

Speaking to Michigan State University graduates yesterday, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak warned graduates that computers are winning. Soon we will be irrelevant.

Yesterday afternoon, Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak spoke to Michigan State University graduates as he received an honorary doctorate of engineering from MSU for his many accomplishments in the personal computing industry. However, toward the end of his mostly positive commencement speech, he warned graduates that the computers he’s helped create will soon make us irrelevant as a species.

“Every time we invent a computer to do something else, it’s doing our work for us, making ourselves less relevant,” said Wozniak, in his usual upbeat tone. “The cyborgs are winning! The androids are winning!”

Wozniak continued: “Artificial intelligence will in the future become more and more like a real person, like a friend you would want to go and meet. Somebody that can talk to your face; somebody that can understand things [and] knows the kind of jokes you like; [somebody] that knows what sort of things to say depending on how slowly you’re talking then; a real person.”

“One of the things is, you’ve got to have human senses,” continued Wozniak. “How does a computer ever create art, for example, if it can’t sense things that a human understands, like the wind on a beach. Well, our computers have gotten hearing and seeing, they’ve got feeling, touch sensitive; they can sense motion, just like our inner ear. Pretty soon we’re going to have holograms, which are much better than what you call 3D television. We’ve created a new species; no question. We’re creators and, like I said, we’re making ourselves less relevant.”

Strangely, though Wozniak spoke in an upbeat tone, he seemed a bit bothered that his creation, the personal computer, was going to make us all irrelevant. Yet, he seemed joyful and wanted graduates to help computers learn to speak and write poetry. I imagine any creator would have mixed feelings about his creation.

The first portion of the speech, which is embedded below, painted a much less bleak future for the human graduates. The Apple co-founder detailed his own college experiences, being one of the only Silicon Valley pioneers who went back to college, and told encouraged graduates to do things because they’re passionate, not for the cash or fame.

And in the end, The Woz has a simple equation for happiness: H = 3F. It stands for “Happiness equals food, friends, and fun.” Just try to have the fun while we’re still relevant. Oh, and Go Spartans!
Source

-------------------------------------- ends article

“Artificial intelligence will in the future become more and more like a real person, like a friend you would want to go and meet. Somebody that can talk to your face; somebody that can understand things [and] knows the kind of jokes you like; [somebody] that knows what sort of things to say depending on how slowly you’re talking then; a real person.”
Yes yes yes, we all want a personal Data from Star Trek (or the female version modeled on Seven of Nine of Borg), very soon we will as a specie go from having fantasies of 'invisible friends/gods/deities/saviours' to creating our very own custom made imaginary friend in real life !

Here comes big fun and boy oh boy, this upcoming artificial intelligence tech we are creating is going to get all of us into trouble !

We better get our act together or our future gods are going to punish us :twisted:

Don't worry about all this though, we'll be okay, we'll get our best programmers and top notch hackers to start building backdoors into all our technologies, so stop crying wolf wolf every time your iphone dials home, it might just save humanity from annihilation !

latro

Wozniak continued: “Artificial intelligence will in the future become more and more like a real person, like a friend you would want to go and meet. Somebody that can talk to your face; somebody that can understand things [and] knows the kind of jokes you like; [somebody] that knows what sort of things to say depending on how slowly you’re talking then; a real person.”
Can't wait.

What I'm wondering though is what the church and all those umm...types of people will have to say about the ethical side of all this once AI is truly achieved. I.e Dr Craig Venter's work. Haters gonna hate I guess.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
:wtf:

In the words of Garfield: "Screw Artificial Intelligance, call me when they create Artificial Cunning"

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Nice find wrathex. I agree that lots of jobs will be lost, but disagree with his claim that humans will be irrelevant. __Zero__ progress has been made on Strong AI in the last 20 or so years. All the progress has been made in Weak AI, i.e. mimicking intelligent behaviour with a well designed algorithm that works *only* for the task it was designed & tuned for. Some really cool stuff there (e.g. cleverbot, turing test etc) and certainly practical, but its not intelligence. Not even close.

The androids are winning!”
Says the Apple cofounder. Haha :D

Maybe we need a Butlerian Jihad?
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind."

Celine

Executive Member
what the! dear lord some people really live in the computer world. they need to go to the beach a bit i think. have you seen steve on the dance floor lol. he needs to live a bit outside the chip world.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
V2 iAndroid released with Cosatu module installed. Keeps running iStrike 3.4 and doesn't want to work? How can I fix this?

TowerGuru

Expert Member
lol i love the Woz he has such a good sense of humour for a Billionaire.

wrathex

Expert Member
V2 iAndroid released with Cosatu module installed. Keeps running iStrike 3.4 and doesn't want to work? How can I fix this?
Hehe, I suggest you get rid of that Cosatu module immediately, replace it with the NSNT module, run it with iStrike 3.5

sutekj

Steve Wozniak is silly. I don't think he is very intelligent if he seriously believes what he's saying. He is thinking very narrowly of what humans are and do.

axon1988

Maybe we are, but why worry baout things like that with all the nonsense going on world-wide right now. I think those are bigger problems.