Still (desperately) looking for volunteers for UCT Gaming Study

actuallychad

I'm still looking for volunteers to participate in the Gaming Study at UCT. I need another 15 people to meet quota. Please see the call below and share with gamers in your personal networks, discord communities, Facebook and whatever else :)

How Healthy Are Competitive Computer Gamers?

The aim of this study is to characterize and compare the physical health and mental performance
of competitive adult computer gamers to non-gamers

You can volunteer for this study if you:
* Are aged 18 - 30 years
* Reside in Cape Town
* Are a competitive computer gamers (i.e. play ranked/league matches)
*Are able to come to our labs in Newlands (at the Sports Science Institute) on two occasions (1 week apart)
* Have not been diagnosed with, and are not on any medication known to affect sleep

What is involved?
* Complete a few questionnaires about your health
* Have your height, weight, waist circumference and blood pressure measured
* Donate some blood (~15mL) to assess your risk for heart disease or diabetes
* Perform 3 computerized tests to assess your mental function
* Wear a sleep monitor (like a Fitbit) for 7 days

What are the benefits?
* Learn about your health and mental performance (we provide a detailed feedback report)

If you are interested please DM/comment below, but preferably email Chadley Kemp
KMPCHA004@myuct.ac.za (subject header: UCT Gaming Study)

** We do compensate for travel expenses (R150) which is given at the end of the 2nd test session.​

Attachments

Surv0

Executive Member
Should raise the age limit as I think more people over 30yrs of age would likely be interested. I would have taken part if you take 30-40yrs.

actuallychad

Should raise the age limit as I think more people over 30yrs of age would likely be interested. I would have taken part if you take 30-40yrs.
Sadly we can't :( ethics has approved a range of 18-30. We didn't want to include gamers above 30 years because then age becomes a factor in assessing gamers' health

Surv0

Executive Member
Sadly we can't :( ethics has approved a range of 18-30. We didn't want to include gamers above 30 years because then age becomes a factor in assessing gamers' health
Fair enough, just had a disk hernia with 3 weeks in bed and my body seems to be taking a big dump as a result :p

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Seems slanted to trying prove that gaming = high risk for heart disease and/or diabetes.

actuallychad

Fair enough, just had a disk hernia with 3 weeks in bed and my body seems to be taking a big dump as a result :p
Jeepers man, sorry to hear that! I hope you recover quickly! If you know of other gamers who might meet the criteria please let them know about the study.. I'm also looking for people who don't play games! :D

actuallychad

Seems slanted to trying prove that gaming = high risk for heart disease and/or diabetes.
Tis the beauty of science... we could be proven wrong. Perhaps gaming is perfectly healthy. Only way to really know is to do tests to see what exactly is going on :) If you feel strongly that gaming does not translate to health problems then perhaps you should take part, what do you think?

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Tis the beauty of science... we could be proven wrong. Perhaps gaming is perfectly healthy. Only way to really know is to do tests to see what exactly is going on :) If you feel strongly that gaming does not translate to health problems then perhaps you should take part, what do you think?
I don't game. I don't reside in Cape Town. So no thanks.

I just object to the clear slant in the study. You have zoned in two very specific health risks which means that you are specifically trying to find evidence to support a conclusion you have already arrived at instead of being open to whatever the findings might be if you were less biased before you even started.

actuallychad

I don't game. I don't reside in Cape Town. So no thanks.

I just object to the clear slant in the study. You have zoned in two very specific health risks which means that you are specifically trying to find evidence to support a conclusion you have already arrived at instead of being open to whatever the findings might be if you were less biased before you even started.
I think you misunderstand. The term "heart disease" is used as a layman's term here for cardiovascular and cardiometabolic comorbidities; we're looking at risk factors, such as obesity (body mass index from height and weight), abdominal adiposity (waist circumference), hypertension (blood pressure measurements); insulin resistance (blood glucose and insulin) etc. We, in fact, cannot make any causal associations because this study is cross-sectional. We are simply observing what the health of gamers are, as they are compared to non-gamers.

If we were to prove that gaming translates to worsened health, we would need to conduct a longitudinal study showing that gaming behavior over time leads to progressively worsened health. We cannot be bias with our study design, which is why the design needs to go through ethics for approval.

Hope this adds some clarity

actuallychad

I weigh 180Kg. 2.03 meters tall. I eat a lot so can you provide how many courses you have in a meal, portion sizes and what food each meal consists of?
Dude you're seriously tall! 2.03 meters? Jeepers. I can provide you R150 worth of courses haha

actuallychad

I normally have fifa competitions at my house and most guys are late 20s to mid 30s
Yeah that's about right. The latest stats from ESA says that the average general gamer is 34 years old. Competitive gamers are a bit younger though, ranging from about 21-25 years old. I initially wanted my gaming cohort to range between 18 and 35 years old, but it was later changed to 18-30 years old for the reason mentioned above.