Still think the 2010 World Cup wont be a success?

F

Fudzy

I hadn't seen the Durban stadium for a while when last week I saw it from Innes road. Phwoar what an awesome site. It's really starting to look like something.

genetic

Honorary Master
Green Point in CPT is taking shape as well. Gonna look stunning when its done!

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
The stadium itself is not the problem. Its the transport and security that will be a ball$up. And of course that site will only report on the positive side of things, it's what it is there for. (shine2010)

Q121

I agree with that. Port Elizabeths stadium looks AWESOME, but the roads and transport system here is SHOCKING!!! Not to mention that we do not have enough accomodation and restaurants.... oh and wait there are NO restaraunts or hotels on that side of town.... I wont even drive in that area without my pepper spray.

lilGr

Expert Member
Nice to actually see the progress being made :) hope we still get it though else all of this was for nothing.. :(

vxv

Would be nice to see our country turning a profit from it.

Let’s just hope no one will be murdered, raped or high jacked. If the international community responds to cats stuck in tress, they won't expect Africa.

Albereth

Honorary Master
I am failing to understand how it is going to be a success. Okay, stadiums will be finished, players will arrive, games will happen and somebody will win. That's the easy part.

But where is the economic benefit for the man in the street? So far all i have heard are rumours about levies for city residents to cough up the short-fall in the construction funding.

Okay, a bunch of tourists are here for two weeks. (Yes, I know that the tournament is a month long but the interest really picks up for the second half). Will that sudden influx add new jobs? And on that, what happens to the guys building the stadia when they're done?

You can't make a bunch of T-shirts and hope to sell them without having the branding police whack you upside the head. And does anyone have a clue what it takes to be an official license holder? Or cost for that matter?

Yep - a few will get stinking rich off this but for most of us there will be no noticeable change.

vxv

I am failing to understand how it is going to be a success. Okay, stadiums will be finished, players will arrive, games will happen and somebody will win. That's the easy part.

But where is the economic benefit for the man in the street? So far all i have heard are rumours about levies for city residents to cough up the short-fall in the construction funding.

Okay, a bunch of tourists are here for two weeks. (Yes, I know that the tournament is a month long but the interest really picks up for the second half). Will that sudden influx add new jobs? And on that, what happens to the guys building the stadia when they're done?

You can't make a bunch of T-shirts and hope to sell them without having the branding police whack you upside the head. And does anyone have a clue what it takes to be an official license holder? Or cost for that matter?

Yep - a few will get stinking rich off this but for most of us there will be no noticeable change.

True, we should start a creating public shares in Teazers and distribute them...

alloytoo

Honorary Master

I think this is especially true of the Durban Stadium, with no viable anchor tenant it's gonna be a huge drain on the city for decades to come.

JungleBoy

Executive Member

The naysayers were saying we were not going to pull it off. Now that it looks like we will be able to host a successful WC, they will start asking why are we hosting it.

The upgraded transport/hotel/telecoms infrastructure surely would be welcome fringe benefits. Not to mention the boost to tourism (especially if we managed to host an incident free tournament)

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
The upgraded transport/hotel/telecoms infrastructure surely would be welcome fringe benefits. Not to mention the boost to tourism (especially if we managed to host an incident free tournament)

That would be one of the main points i think.

Albereth

Honorary Master
The naysayers were saying we were not going to pull it off. Now that it looks like we will be able to host a successful WC, they will start asking why are we hosting it.

What boost in tourism? A bunch of people clogging up the roads for two weeks is an abberation, not a boost. Having people clog up the roads for 52 weeks would be a boost.

JungleBoy

Executive Member
What boost in tourism? A bunch of people clogging up the roads for two weeks is an abberation, not a boost. Having people clog up the roads for 52 weeks would be a boost.

If we can have an incident free tournament, a lot of them will return with family and friends.
For most people in other continents, this will be the first chance to visit Africa. Depending on their experiences, they will be back for more bearing in mind that the African region doesn't have a very good image (war torn) at the moment.

Albereth

Honorary Master
If we can have an incident free tournament, a lot of them will return with family and friends.
For most people in other continents, this will be the first chance to visit Africa. Depending on their experiences, they will be back for more bearing in mind that the African region doesn't have a very good image (war torn) at the moment.

Not convinced - but we can leave it at that.

vxv

Yes, Support you argument.