Stock Picks - Darlings and Dogs

How successful have you been in trading your own equities, etfs and funds ?

• Extremely successful (make a living off my takings)

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • Beating passive investment returns

Votes: 131 47.6%
  • About par with normal returns from banks and money markets

Votes: 49 17.8%
  • Lost a few pennies of spare cash to play with

Votes: 27 9.8%
  • Should have rather left my money in the bank

Votes: 22 8.0%
  • Took a knock

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • Cremated

Votes: 18 6.5%

• Total voters

Bundu

Expert Member
apologies if this is OT...
I had some Steinhoff shares when they crashed and have just completed a claim on their website - quite a job!
ABSA stockbrokers were supposed to handle the claim and have just pulled out now.

Any other folks here in the same boat?

airborne

Honorary Master
apologies if this is OT...
I had some Steinhoff shares when they crashed and have just completed a claim on their website - quite a job!
ABSA stockbrokers were supposed to handle the claim and have just pulled out now.

Any other folks here in the same boat?

I didn’t know they were going to pay out retail investors, what have they agreed to pay out per share?

Bundu

Expert Member
I didn’t know they were going to pay out retail investors, what have they agreed to pay out per share?
AFAIK they will pay out and think it's about 5c/R - I had quite a lot of shares, so worth taking the chance - closing of claims is 15May 23:59

Below text from ABSA doc sent to me:

10 May 2022
Dear Client
Please be advised that Absa Stockbrokers & Portfolio Management (SPM) is limited on the extent to which we
can act on your behalf in lodging a claim against Steinhoff International Holdings N.V. and/or Steinhoff
International Holdings Proprietary Limited, in relation to refunds for losses on these shares. The claims have
to be made by the beneficial shareholder and not the registered shareholder.
To this end, Steinhoff has now made it possible for shareholders to submit information and liaise directly with
Computershare (their claims administrator). This means that you, as a Steinhoff shareholder, will receive any
payment due to you directly from the settlement administrator.
Please be advised that you will have to directly file your claim with Computershare on or before Sunday, 15
May 2022 by 23:59:59 South African Standard Time (SAST).
To engage directly with the claims administrator, you will need to follow the form hosted by Computershare at
https://www.computershare.com/za. You will also need to provide various identity and trading information in
order to submit your claim.
Should you have any questions about Computershare’s requirements, the operation of its online form or any
other aspect of the claims filing and recognition process, please contact Computershare at
info@steinhoffsettlement.com.
Absa SPM remains committed to assisting you through this process, as far as we can. Should you require any
documentation to submit your Steinhoff claim, please do not hesitate to contact us via equities@absa.africa
Again, please be advised that the deadline to directly submit your Steinhoff claim with Computershare is
Sunday, 15 May 2022.
Regards
Absa Stockbrokers & Portfolio Management (SPM)

Last edited:

Tim_vb

Expert Member
Twitter shorts should pay off nicely now that Musk is backing down on Twitter - I think its going to fall for a while given its 130x P/E and management turmoil

Crankshaft

I wish I had a few thousand to throw at Apple and Microsoft.
I think if I could buy only one stock, it would be Microsoft.

We should listen to Buffet and think of the market as a coupon card with 20 coupons = the only 20 companies that you can ever invest in. When you throw some money at a specific company, you then clip your card and have 19 companies left to invest in.

Would make you actually do your homework on if you should invest into xxx or not and would have saved me a lot of money by not buying into many BS tech companies over the last 2 years. To those busy bleeding to death, just know you are not alone.

L-Dog

Expert Member
What should the time be used for?

Compound interest, the more time you have the more time your money has to grow. Over time risk is also reduced even if you bought at last year by 2030 - 2040 it wont really matter

BBSA

Honorary Master
Comments from Michael Sincere

Because the indexes are so oversold, a monster rally is likely. That will lure many previously bullish investors back into the market, and many will believe the worst is over. This is not a prediction but based on previous bear markets, this scenario is likely. Bear markets are very tricky animals: In the middle of these awful selloffs, there are these huge “blow-your-socks-off” rallies, although they typically fail.

The Bad News: If the other indexes fall into a bear market, this event “could” last as long as a year, testing the patience and emotions of many investors and traders, especially rookies.

The Good News: As Lance Roberts said in his blog, “It’s so bearish it’s bullish,” and he’s right. Most investors have lost money, and are exceedingly bearish, which is actually a bullish sign. As I said earlier, a rally is likely.

Bottom line: These are unusually treacherous times so it’s essential to be alert to any possibility. The FAANG stocks are reflecting some of the worst losses. It would not be surprising if many other stocks followed the Nasdaq into the abyss (but not right away).

BBSA

Honorary Master
My feeling is that if we going to have a monster rally in stocks then cripto will also run hard. Probably not a bad risk/reward trade ATM.

surface

Honorary Master
Can't wait to make few millions this week - last week was exhilarating - you know who.