Stock Picks - Darlings and Dogs

How successful have you been in trading your own equities, etfs and funds ?

• Extremely successful (make a living off my takings)

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Beating passive investment returns

Votes: 130 47.6%
  • About par with normal returns from banks and money markets

Votes: 49 17.9%
  • Lost a few pennies of spare cash to play with

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • Should have rather left my money in the bank

Votes: 22 8.1%
  • Took a knock

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • Cremated

Votes: 18 6.6%

• Total voters

rvZA

Honorary Master
How you guys keep USD ? You got a bank account with an American bank ? Or do you utilize local bank for example services like standard banks shyft account for example ?

I think most people are using services like FNB's USD account, Standard's Shyft and some even services like Wise.com. Personally, I have a Wells Fargo checking account, which I opened some time ago while being on holiday in the US. I also have a business bank account with Blue Ridge Bank & Trust. Both banks have Check Cards I can use anywhere in the world.

Snyper564

Honorary Master
How you guys keep USD ? You got a bank account with an American bank ? Or do you utilize local bank for example services like standard banks shyft account for example ?
Either FNB Global Account for long term storage or TUSD for my crypto or Mercantile Bank for all my USD/Eur swift transfers

FNB Global Account for USD. I'm also fortunate enough to have a proper UK bank account as well.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Discovery Bank also has fx accounts (I've never tried - just have ZAR accounts with them).

rvZA

Honorary Master
Discovery Bank also has fx accounts (I've never tried - just have ZAR accounts with them).

They seem to be crazy expensive though from the little I read about them when they sent out the marketing for it.

L-Dog

Expert Member
Anyone bought or thinking about buying some SNAP shares?

Nope, don't have enough information on the company but I think most youngsters use tick tock so not sure if snapchat will recover. Waiting a few more weeks but definitely looking at some tech shares.

saturnz

Honorary Master
another exciting week

US GDP numbers this afternoon may swing markets again

If jobless claims rise together with the US formally entering a recession then I expect equities to rise on the bad news is good news trend

saturnz

Honorary Master
bad news came out, equities jumping

I lightened some of my shorts, will increase my weighting after new highs are reached

TedLasso

Expert Member
My children got some cash for birthdays. Logged into EE and see the gains they had (at one point around 25%) is now just under break even. Invested in S&P 500, NASDAQ and MCSI World. The Crypto one (EC10 IIRC was a nightmare one day after purchase - but anywhoo).

So wondering if I should invest now (technically at the same level last year when first investing) or waiting a bit (hoping to catch a bottom lower than current value). Of course, this money is their long term money so won't be touched for another 15-20 years at least.