Stock Picks - Darlings and Dogs

How successful have you been in trading your own equities, etfs and funds ?

• Extremely successful (make a living off my takings)

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Beating passive investment returns

Votes: 128 47.9%
  • About par with normal returns from banks and money markets

Votes: 48 18.0%
  • Lost a few pennies of spare cash to play with

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • Should have rather left my money in the bank

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Took a knock

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • Cremated

Votes: 17 6.4%

• Total voters

rvZA

Honorary Master
My children got some cash for birthdays. Logged into EE and see the gains they had (at one point around 25%) is now just under break even. Invested in S&P 500, NASDAQ and MCSI World. The Crypto one (EC10 IIRC was a nightmare one day after purchase - but anywhoo).

So wondering if I should invest now (technically at the same level last year when first investing) or waiting a bit (hoping to catch a bottom lower than current value). Of course, this money is their long term money so won't be touched for another 15-20 years at least.

If you have no intention of touching the money for at least 20 years, stay in. Even if the markets drop another 90%, which it will likely do. Eventually it will go up again. These governments cannot stay in power forever and a better one will eventually take over. But, in the highly unlikely event they do stay in power forever, the worst that could happen is that you could lose your money.

GrootVoet

I just carry on per norm.

I take R x per month and I invest it in quality shares / etf's.

I'm not worried about 6, 12, 18 month growths but in the 5, 10, 15 year growth and I believe I will make some money over the long run unless I hit a Steinhoff.

My children got some cash for birthdays. Logged into EE and see the gains they had (at one point around 25%) is now just under break even. Invested in S&P 500, NASDAQ and MCSI World. The Crypto one (EC10 IIRC was a nightmare one day after purchase - but anywhoo).

So wondering if I should invest now (technically at the same level last year when first investing) or waiting a bit (hoping to catch a bottom lower than current value). Of course, this money is their long term money so won't be touched for another 15-20 years at least.

An alternative option is to invest in shares with high dividend yields as well:

rvZA

Honorary Master

If Trump ever gets into that office, I am sticking every single cent I have and selling all properties and pushing it back into those markets for 4 years. There is no doubt about this. While I doubted Trump the first time around, I know of 7 friends who became Dollar Millionaires within 2 years when Trump was in office.

Bundu

Expert Member
If Trump ever gets into that office, I am sticking every single cent I have and selling all properties and pushing it back into those markets for 4 years. There is no doubt about this. While I doubted Trump the first time around, I know of 7 friends who became Dollar Millionaires within 2 years when Trump was in office.
I was just baiting you

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
If you have no intention of touching the money for at least 20 years, stay in. Even if the markets drop another 90%, which it will likely do. Eventually it will go up again. These governments cannot stay in power forever and a better one will eventually take over. But, in the highly unlikely event they do stay in power forever, the worst that could happen is that you could lose your money.

You think that it's likely that stock markets lose 90% from peak. That's crazy.

saturnz

Honorary Master
You think that it's likely that stock markets lose 90% from peak. That's crazy.

if you consider the amount of artificial liquidity pumped into equities since 2008, then its not difficult to see that the closest we have to real world valuations of anything is before QE started in 2008

the equity markets will atleast half from their peaks, and new peaks will still be reached as a result of the continued QE

L-Dog

Expert Member
Think I am going to deploy some Capital this month... Looking at 6 - 12 months not to bothered if its local or international. looking at Disney, Nvidia, Telsa and a aerospace and defence etf. Any particular stocks you guys are bullish on?

BBSA

Honorary Master
Think I am going to deploy some Capital this month... Looking at 6 - 12 months not to bothered if its local or international. looking at Disney, Nvidia, Telsa and a aerospace and defence etf. Any particular stocks you guys are bullish on?
I have put some money in QQQ, but I think 6-12 months is too long. Bear market rallies usually only last a few weeks.

The FED can stop the bear market, but I doubt they will come to the rescue while inflation is still high.

saturnz

Honorary Master
It is expected the FED is supposed to start selling assets today but I'm not sure how that is going to work.