Stock Picks - Darlings and Dogs

How successful have you been in trading your own equities, etfs and funds ?

• Extremely successful (make a living off my takings)

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Beating passive investment returns

Votes: 96 47.1%
  • About par with normal returns from banks and money markets

Votes: 39 19.1%
  • Lost a few pennies of spare cash to play with

Votes: 21 10.3%
  • Should have rather left my money in the bank

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Took a knock

Votes: 15 7.4%
  • Cremated

Votes: 12 5.9%

• Total voters

L-Dog

Expert Member
Currently my best performers:

Telkom
Sasol

My gambles:

PPC
City Lodge

Also took a gable on PPC. City lodge also seems low just not sure how popular hotels will be although I guess people might feel safer visiting a hotels compared to B&B etc.

3WA

Honorary Master
Anyone indulge their inner mashonisa and buy Capitec today? It was down 9% at one point.

L-Dog

Expert Member

No surprise on Capitec, I guess Telkom was so low they had to go up but their service is terrible and they are way over staffed (think they are cutting some jobs). Just not sure if they will succeed in the long run

Ishould_BeWorking

Anyone indulge their inner mashonisa and buy Capitec today? It was down 9% at one point.
Banks are looking cheap, just scared of what bad debts may come with this environment - I would thumb suck and say they are fairly valued right now, I have some Investec in the kitty.

Reactions: 3WA

Ishould_BeWorking

I think India banned tik tock.. Mobile gaming is massive in Asia (saw this first hand in Singapore and Hong Kong) and Naspers owns a 1/3 of Tencent so the future looks bright although this is a mid to long term investment
I went into SYG4IR, liked their idea of this ETF, nicely up abt 10% on this in last months... hopefully a darling and one to follow in years to come, I like the Tech idea

saturnz

Honorary Master
ANG is going befokt, this thing doesn't look like its stopping - i wonder if there is still opportunity in these metals to make a buck

in dollar terms, the current gold to silver ratio is around 100, well above its long term ratio, so there is lots of value in silver

the argument for the gold price going up in dollar terms is also quite strong

SoldierMan

Executive Member
things are going to crazy if the silver price continues to increase

I am also keeping a close eye on gold/silver.

I will be surprised if the powers that be don't knock them back down though, however maybe a new normal ($1800 for gold and $18.50 for silver) will emerge for a time.

Last edited:

L-Dog

Expert Member
I am also keeping a close eye on gold/silver.

I will be surprised if the powers that be don't knock them back down though, however maybe a new normal ($1800 for gold and $19 for silver) will emerge for a time.

Do any of the big company's have silver mines in SA ?

SoldierMan

Executive Member

Not sure, maybe someone else here can help you with that.

Edit: Maybe if the silver price went up quite a bit (as many are speculating) then some of the old mines might reopen. Who knows maybe some new ones too.

Last edited:

saturnz

Honorary Master

The point I was trying to make was not that the price of silver is increasing (along with gold) but that an increasing price of silver is a worrying sign for markets in general.

Nevertheless silver is generally a byproduct from copper mining of which there are a few in SA

L-Dog

Expert Member
The point I was trying to make was not that the price of silver is increasing (along with gold) but that an increasing price of silver is a worrying sign for markets in general.

Nevertheless silver is generally a byproduct from copper mining of which there are a few in SA

Aahh, I know silver is used in a lot of electronic and electrical items so with a low price I am sure the demand will increase.

saturnz

Honorary Master
Aahh, I know silver is used in a lot of electronic and electrical items so with a low price I am sure the demand will increase.

the price has been low for the past 10 years, its increasing now