Stock Picks - Darlings and Dogs

How successful have you been in trading your own equities, etfs and funds ?

• Extremely successful (make a living off my takings)

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Beating passive investment returns

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • About par with normal returns from banks and money markets

Votes: 31 18.7%
  • Lost a few pennies of spare cash to play with

Votes: 16 9.6%
  • Should have rather left my money in the bank

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Took a knock

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Cremated

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters

Tun@

Expert Member
Probably safer in a dog than something that's going to fall when this market lets go.
We now close to 1400 up from that gap that's been left open.

Jehosefat

Expert Member
The whole industry here needs a regulator to sort out its bs
Check out the spread - i seen quite a lot that i look at but walk away from cos of the spread.
Spread + brokerage rate here = total rape vrs other countries

View attachment 998086
And how exactly do you think a regulator will narrow spreads?

Do you even know how spreads come about? Because if you did, you would realise that there is no way a regulator can can narrow spreads and still have a free market...

Tun@

Expert Member
And how exactly do you think a regulator will narrow spreads?

Do you even know how spreads come about? Because if you did, you would realise that there is no way a regulator can can narrow spreads and still have a free market...

You going to tell me there's no market maker like operation that happens on stocks here & its all just willing buyer/ willing seller "free market" levels huh?

rietrot

Honorary Master
You going to tell me there's no market maker like operation that happens on stocks here & its all just willing buyer/ willing seller "free market" levels huh?
Yes. Except etfs.

Jehosefat

Expert Member
Of course there are market makers but they are simply there to ensure that there is liquidity not to make it so you can get the price that you want...

And even then, only in limited cases.

Tun@

Expert Member
Yes. Except etfs.

Hi - yes i remember you told me before no mm's here but as can be seen in the reply below its's not exactly true.

Of course there are market makers but they are simply there to ensure that there is liquidity not to make it so you can get the price that you want...

And even then, only in limited cases.

Thanks for confirming, was the spread i was making mention of, not the price.
The 17H00 prints on the T&S that can be seen, i understand that the professional outfits get to trade outside hours but that then is also the MM like arrangement squaring his books for the day is it?

Tun@

Expert Member
TKG previous from here monday

tkg_Jan22.JPG

Struggling to read this - breakout but no follow thru but i've come across that with others recently also.
Took some profit & scaled back what i was holding & see from here forward what happens with the rest.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Hi - yes i remember you told me before no mm's here but as can be seen in the reply below its's not exactly true

A reply from a random guy on the internet.
That's about worth just as much as what I said and doesn't make what I said not true.

Etfs need to have a market maker.
All stocks on the jse don't. The bids and offers are actual people. There is no market maker that buys or sells at a certain point to control the price or manage the spread.

Tun@

Expert Member
A reply from a random guy on the internet.
That's about worth just as much as what I said and doesn't make what I said not true.

Etfs need to have a market maker.
All stocks on the jse don't. The bids and offers are actual people. There is no market maker that buys or sells at a certain point to control the price or manage the spread.

Ya - what i replied to you wasn't how it was meant sorry - what i was meaning was the official narrative is no they don't but really there is.
If all stocks bid/ask's are just Jack,Jill & Mary how is it that that there is always bid's/ask's there automatically every morning, there has to be some sort of MM system.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Ya - what i replied to you wasn't how it was meant sorry - what i was meaning was the official narrative is no they don't but really there is.
If all stocks bid/ask's are just Jack,Jill & Mary how is it that that there is always bid's/ask's there automatically every morning, there has to be some sort of MM system.
On many smaller stocks there isn't a bid or offer for days.

Many large institutions trade and we have enough fund damagers that play around with other people's money to have the volume on most shares

There is a opening or closing auction? that works slightly different than regular trading.

Also with someone can just put in their order to bit or offer and it is just there until the price reach that point. They don't have to do it physically 9 o'clock each morning. I'm sure plenty of people have buy and sell orders running all the time.

Tun@

Expert Member
On many smaller stocks there isn't a bid or offer for days.

Many large institutions trade and we have enough fund damagers that play around with other people's money to have the volume on most shares

There is a opening or closing auction? that works slightly different than regular trading.

Also with someone can just put in their order to bit or offer and it is just there until the price reach that point. They don't have to do it physically 9 o'clock each morning. I'm sure plenty of people have buy and sell orders running all the time.

i think the exchange also has some sort of initial MM system there in place that all the above fall into as well & that spread is rather on the hungry side for some stocks.
Run electronically, whether a stock moves up or down the spread stays there, one can jump in the middle no problem so it is "free market" but i think there is also a market within the market there to a degree.

I didn't expect to see hidden volume orders here but see they are, found that quite interesting

Jehosefat

Expert Member
Thanks for confirming, was the spread i was making mention of, not the price.
The 17H00 prints on the T&S that can be seen, i understand that the professional outfits get to trade outside hours but that then is also the MM like arrangement squaring his books for the day is it?
Well there are generally not market makers for most stocks. They would usually be there for IPOs, demergers etc. and then only for a limited time. And ETFs have market makers as mentioned. That's why I mentioned "in limited cases".

In any case the presence of market makers would not widen the spread. Usually their prices would be well outside the spread in any case just to ensure that there is liquidity if necessary. That was my point on their price. They are obligated to provide the liquidity but usually they don't actually want to trade.

And yeah, as rietrot mentioned, buy or sell orders can remain open indefinitely depending on how they are placed. The usual 3 options are "good until close" (or good for the day), "good until [date]" and "good until filled" (i.e. open until it trades) but technically you could put in an order that is good for 30 minutes if you wanted.

Last edited:

Tun@

Expert Member
Well there are generally not market makers for most stocks. They would usually be there for IPOs, demergers etc. and then only for a limited time. And ETFs have market makers as mentioned. That's why I mentioned "in limited cases".

In any case the presence of market makers would not widen the spread. Usually their prices would be well outside the spread in any case just to ensure that there is liquidity if necessary. That was my point on their price. They are obligated to provide the liquidity but usually they don't actually want to trade.

Ok thanks.

ZA_Witcher

Hi I got introduced to a company called Sharetrackin and I was wondering if maybe one of you guys have heard of them or trade on their stock signals?

BBSA

Honorary Master
Hi I got introduced to a company called Sharetrackin and I was wondering if maybe one of you guys have heard of them or trade on their stock signals?
I always ask myself why would a company sell their stock signals if they really worked.

Last edited: