Stock Picks - Darlings and Dogs

How successful have you been in trading your own equities, etfs and funds ?

• Extremely successful (make a living off my takings)

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Beating passive investment returns

Votes: 96 47.1%
  • About par with normal returns from banks and money markets

Votes: 39 19.1%
  • Lost a few pennies of spare cash to play with

Votes: 21 10.3%
  • Should have rather left my money in the bank

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Took a knock

Votes: 15 7.4%
  • Cremated

Votes: 12 5.9%

• Total voters

JayM

Expert Member
In the long run I doubt that an MSCI World, S&P 1200 or FTSE Global will significantly outperform the other. Thus, lower TER is what really matters. It's why I'm so tempted by Core Shares's FTSE Total World ETF. If they can pull off their targeted 0.29% TER, it will be great.

VWRL/VWRA are 0.22%.

saturnz

Honorary Master
okay PCE numbers coming out in about 23 hours

if the actuals are significantly higher than expectations, I suspect the markets will move quickly in reaction

Last edited:

rvZA

Executive Member
Coupang (CPNG)

I think this is a solid fast growing company. Shares look good in the US too.

L-Dog

Expert Member
David Shapiro
Afrimat’s annual compound growth rate - including dividends- over the past ten years is 32%. Price of shares up 1103%. Outstanding for a company in an industry that has all but collapsed. A tribute to management. Beats Capitec at 25%pa. And Naspers 28%pa. And gold in rand 9%pa.

Mate bought them and sold them after the 2010 world cup, very impressive results.

rvZA

Executive Member

Interesting. Although Covid had the biggest effect last year, it mainly recovered in most sectors by now. The biggest fear now is the Biden administration with its $6tn planned spending. This will be sending the US markets back to the 1930's recession when inflation, which already started, hits them real hard. One need to be very careful of the US markets right now. Buying opportunities will be presenting itself real soon.

saturnz

Honorary Master
Brent has finally broken $70, should see an easy move to $80 if the dollar continues to show weakness

Ishould_BeWorking

Dischem, Adapt, MRP, pumped this month, value picks coming into play ? What are some good value picks for the month of June ?