Stock Picks - Darlings and Dogs

How successful have you been in trading your own equities, etfs and funds ?

• Extremely successful (make a living off my takings)

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Beating passive investment returns

Votes: 126 48.8%
  • About par with normal returns from banks and money markets

Votes: 46 17.8%
  • Lost a few pennies of spare cash to play with

Votes: 24 9.3%
  • Should have rather left my money in the bank

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Took a knock

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • Cremated

Votes: 17 6.6%

• Total voters

handyman007

Expert Member
I hope there will be a correction soon but perhaps we have missed out on the 90% up already.
In a years time the present R40 will be peanuts.
This is a future Top 40.
David Shapiro on Renergen - I see Renergen up 15% today on announcement of increased helium reserves. Company now valued at R5bn. I just looked at their recent financials for 6mths to Aug21. Scary stuff. Have debt of R500m and no income - yet. And equity value of R289m. Market may be running them too hard!

surface

Honorary Master
I have been dabbling a bit with shares on Easy Equities, I generally buy when there is some big news surrounding a company, Sasol and Renergen for instance, but I am wondering how and where do you do research? I typically use Moneyweb for looking at how a stock has performed in the past, but other than that I don't do any research.
Not advising but I would wait for at least a month before you buy. I know it is silly to time the market but if there is big news, that is not the time to buy it as prices are on the up already. My -12% portfolio is because of this silliness to buy it when big news hits market. :ROFL: :ROFL:

Ishould_BeWorking

My thoughts on how the info flows : Insiders (bank big) ---> Analysts / Bankers (bank big) ---> Media (something left on the table) ---> Armchair investor (a few crumbs left, then hit by profit taking) ----> Everyone else (missed the bus, wait for the next one)

rvZA

Executive Member
My thoughts on how the info flows : Insiders (bank big) ---> Analysts / Bankers (bank big) ---> Media (something left on the table) ---> Armchair investor (a few crumbs left, then hit by profit taking) ----> Everyone else (missed the bus, wait for the next one)
The reason why you should always pay enough money so that you get the news early enough.

The reason why you should always pay enough money so that you get the news early enough.
There is actually a subscription service in the US that provides information on when executives sell or buy stock which you can then use to do your own trades but yes, the stock market is largely rigged in favour of insiders.

rvZA

Executive Member
There is actually a subscription service in the US that provides information on when executives sell or buy stock which you can then use to do your own trades but yes, the stock market is largely rigged in favour of insiders.

Agreed, you cannot invest and not take into consideration insider trading. Luckily, there are SA services providing this information too for JSE listed companies.

But, it all depends on how you invest. If you are into buying at a low and selling at a high in 1, 2, 3 or 4 days, you will need this type of information. If you are like me who buys and leave the shares for 30, 40 years, then this would not matter. Just keep an eye on companies failing.

Ishould_BeWorking

Agreed, you cannot invest and not take into consideration insider trading. Luckily, there are SA services providing this information too for JSE listed companies.

But, it all depends on how you invest. If you are into buying at a low and selling at a high in 1, 2, 3 or 4 days, you will need this type of information. If you are like me who buys and leave the shares for 30, 40 years, then this would not matter. Just keep an eye on companies failing.
Yasis, 30 , 40 years, u know the world is gonna end just now

rvZA

Executive Member
Yasis, 30 , 40 years, u know the world is gonna end just now

Nothing is ending.... I still have all my shares in my PSG account which I bought and grew around 2004 - 2010. I haven't even logged in there the past 7 or so years.

rvZA

Executive Member
Haha jokes man , good on you on the long term view

Long term view and stacking up on them is the better option in any event. I should have stuck with that, but after 2010 moved investing abroad. Most of my money is invested there now. Also focussing on long term there. WIll buy out, pay taxes and spend the rest on crazy stuff when I am 70 years old...

surface

Honorary Master
JSE guru
@SAstockpicks

Aveng - 3 criteria for a potential rocketing share price are now met via a low PE multiple (low teens), high book value to share price (last NAV 10,8c) and blue sky potential. At a trading price of 4c and debt sorted, AEG can become that rocket
For life of me, for once, please explain me how this works.ELI5 if you can.

Price of aveng is 5 cents but R 1.46 million worth trading?

Who does this and what is the flipping point? Are these buying bots?

1636367567624.png

JayM

Expert Member
Party not over yet apparently:

1636398013893.png

Triple bagger in 6 months. AMD also getting into the action:

1636398252651.png
And another favourite of mine:

1636399273602.png

Another two that I think will break out like the above in the next year are TSM (Taiwan Semiconductor) and PSTG (Pure Storage). TSM is currently at a very good entry price (current noise about China is just that, noise).

The old adage "invest in what you know" really is true. My non tech picks aren't really doing great (<10% this year, other than BRK.B, which is almost never a bad buy).

Attachments

• 1636397914203.png
    1636397914203.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 25

3WA

Honorary Master
I AM NOT GONNA BUY IT. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? See above.

:ROFL: :ROFL:

Closed around 220 when we had that conversation.

Now 246.

I bought R250 at about 35c and since then I've been scared to buy more. I wish I bought R25,000.

surface

Honorary Master
Closed around 220 when we had that conversation.

Now 246.

I bought R250 at about 35c and since then I've been scared to buy more. I wish I bought R25,000.
I am taking one for the team by not buying it. Go forth, prosper and multiply.