Stock Picks - Darlings and Dogs

How successful have you been in trading your own equities, etfs and funds ?

• Extremely successful (make a living off my takings)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Beating passive investment returns

Votes: 112 49.1%
  • About par with normal returns from banks and money markets

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Lost a few pennies of spare cash to play with

Votes: 22 9.6%
  • Should have rather left my money in the bank

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Took a knock

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • Cremated

Votes: 16 7.0%

• Total voters

far2000

guys, aspen took a major hit and looks to be on the up...worth buying now?
Renergen down to R32. took a major hit last week, think its a stock worth buying now>

far2000

you think it will get lower or start on an upward tend? think now is the time to buy or wait for the start of the climb before buying?
are u buying to keep long term?

surface

Honorary Master
you think it will get lower or start on an upward tend? think now is the time to buy or wait for the start of the climb before buying?
are u buying to keep long term?
I generally keep them for medium to long term and keep on buying at intervals. There is no point in timing the market.

James 77

it looks to start climbing now again, u really think it will drop more and down to R20 ish?
It’s very speculative. I’ve bought some when the price was around R19 a share.

I don’t think it will drop back to sub R20, but it might go to +- R26 before January 2022 in my opinion. However if the price remains as is I will still buy some for the medium long term

Chinmaya

Buy anything with high alpha and low beta and hold it for long term. Basically these are the stoks You buy and forget. High alpha helps you ride like a bull and low beta works like a parking brake when market falls. From my 10 years of experience in this market I will say, investing in South Africa is not worthy as the best of the best products gives max 10% avg. return. Hold a $ account and Invest globally.

Last edited:

James 77

Buy anything with high alpha and low beta and hold it for long term. Basically these are the stoks You buy and forget. High alpha helps you ride like a bull and low beta works like a parking brake when market falls. From my 10 years of experience in this market I will say, investing in South Africa is not worthy as the best of the best products gives max 10% avg. return. Hold a $ account and Invest globally.
I agree. I’ve invested quite a bit in stocks like AMD, Nvidea etc and it has outperformed my SA stocks by a massive margin.