Stock Picks - Darlings and Dogs

How successful have you been in trading your own equities, etfs and funds ?

• Extremely successful (make a living off my takings)

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Beating passive investment returns

Votes: 126 48.8%
  • About par with normal returns from banks and money markets

Votes: 46 17.8%
  • Lost a few pennies of spare cash to play with

Votes: 24 9.3%
  • Should have rather left my money in the bank

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Took a knock

Votes: 18 7.0%
  • Cremated

Votes: 17 6.6%

• Total voters

Ams1979

There is nothing in the news for Ellies apart from them liquidating there manufacturing division, they became profitable this year and reduced costs. A unknown buyer bought an undisclosed stake in ELLIES from Elliot Ralph Salkow and the Ellies Holdings Staff Incentive Trust acquired 23% stake in Ellies Holdings Limited in July. So maybe somewhere someone knows something.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Seriously though at what point do you normally sell your stock. I always see people saying it will go up more or its time to sell. What indicators are used.
It will differ from one person to another as the beguiled @3WA offered :p

For me, I pick stocks where I look for a combination of long term growth and dividends. I pick stocks in companies that have demonstrated strength (i.e. I don't want a Steinhoff) and consistency in financial performance.

So, I do not trade often. I buy at the best possible (i.e. low) price and hold onto them.

I use the dividends to buy more shares.

I also have a Tax Free trading account and it is here where I send all dividends earned.

So, for me, my goal is long term accumulation and dividends.

I have often considered trading on volatility. But because I do not understand CGT, I have not taken that chance yet.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
It will differ from one person to another as the beguiled @3WA offered :p

For me, I pick stocks where I look for a combination of long term growth and dividends. I pick stocks in companies that have demonstrated strength (i.e. I don't want a Steinhoff) and consistency in financial performance.

So, I do not trade often. I buy at the best possible (i.e. low) price and hold onto them.

I use the dividends to buy more shares.

I also have a Tax Free trading account and it is here where I send all dividends earned.

So, for me, my goal is long term accumulation and dividends.

I have often considered trading on volatility. But because I do not understand CGT, I have not taken that chance yet.

If you are trading volatility, then profits would not be considered CGT, they would form part of your income and be taxed as such. If you are "trading" in your TFSA, then there would be no tax at all regardless of the outcome.

rvZA

Executive Member
As dit pap reen moet jy skep.

Agreed, take the profits while you can. For now the US markets are fine and will continue to do okay. I suspect sometime next year or 2023 there will be huge correction in the US markets. Many people will lose a lot of money in this correction. I also suspect for some years after that the US markets will run mostly flat, if not decline further. There will definitely be a lot of pain before things get better.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Just sold my Quilter PLC shares. Transfer to to TFSA. Will buy more EFTs. Dividends in TFSA are buying me more EFTs shares. DivTRX paid out a nice dividend last quarter.

rvZA

Executive Member
Some great news for some S&P500 stock for next year....

S&P 500 Companies Bought Record $234.5 Billion in Shares​

S&P 500 companies bought a record $234.5 billion of their shares during the third quarter, beating the previous high of $223 billion in the fourth quarter of 2018, and helping push U.S. stock indexes to dozens of records this year, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Share repurchases plunged to below $89 billion in the second quarter of 2020 as the Covid-19 pandemic began, but have steadily increased. Howard Silverblatt, senior index analyst at S&P Dow Jones Indices, projects S&P 500 fourth quarter buybacks to reach $236 billion.

rvZA

Executive Member
Another stock to watch...

Pfizer to Buy Arena Pharmaceuticals in $6.7 Billion Deal. Arena Stock Soars.​

Pfizer has agreed to buy U.S. biotech company Arena Pharmaceuticals in a deal valued at about $6.7 billion.

The U.S. pharma giant said the acquisition would expand its cancer and inflammatory disease drug pipeline.

LaraC

Honorary Master
Just sold my Quilter PLC shares. Transfer to to TFSA. Will buy more EFTs. Dividends in TFSA are buying me more EFTs shares. DivTRX paid out a nice dividend last quarter.
Why did you decide on DIVTRX? :unsure:

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Why did you decide on DIVTRX? :unsure:
It is focused on dividends. Quarterly dividends, which vary a lot, but seem to be reasonable returns. I like the spread of the EFT. It complements the other ETFs in my portfolio.

rvZA

Executive Member
Another reason to drop all China related stock and stock in local companies with strong ties with China....

U.S. and China Take Steps to Reduce Financial Ties. That Spells Trouble for Chinese ADRs.​

China and the U.S. took steps toward decoupling as regulators in both countries this month set into motion plans to delist some Chinese companies from U.S. exchanges, the latest warning that the investment backdrop is changing, especially for do-it-yourself retail investors.The Securities and Exchange completed rules paving the way for delisting Chinese companies that don’t comply with U.S.

rvZA

Executive Member
Okay, it is now officially confirmed. US inflation is not transitory nor is it temporary. On a year-over-year basis, PPI rose 9.6%. Shares are tumbling. I will be scaling down for a year or two on US shares. More losses are imminent bore their markets will flatten out for a long period of time, just like here in SA.

LaraC

Honorary Master
It is focused on dividends. Quarterly dividends, which vary a lot, but seem to be reasonable returns. I like the spread of the EFT. It complements the other ETFs in my portfolio.
Thank you. I asked because most people recommend ETF's with a low TER and foreign exposure. :)

saturnz

Honorary Master
Okay, it is now officially confirmed. US inflation is not transitory nor is it temporary. On a year-over-year basis, PPI rose 9.6%. Shares are tumbling. I will be scaling down for a year or two on US shares. More losses are imminent bore their markets will flatten out for a long period of time, just like here in SA.

the market is going to crash yes, and I am short on indices, but that crash is not going to happen now