Stock Picks - Darlings and Dogs

How successful have you been in trading your own equities, etfs and funds ?

• Extremely successful (make a living off my takings)

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Beating passive investment returns

Votes: 130 47.6%
  • About par with normal returns from banks and money markets

Votes: 49 17.9%
  • Lost a few pennies of spare cash to play with

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • Should have rather left my money in the bank

Votes: 22 8.1%
  • Took a knock

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • Cremated

Votes: 18 6.6%

• Total voters

W@P

Expert Member

I see you and I raise you...
065a1d1ce04e3f8e74f9a222d9751cb2.jpg
Very nice. Well done

W@P

Expert Member
Anyone here into Capitec shares? I know a guy who has just over 300k Capitec shares. :eek:
I had quite a few and sold them all at R170. Can fscking kick myself.
1642563234521.png

saturnz

Honorary Master
inflation numbers are now simply obvious

however the contraction of the (global) economy is also quite obvious

so banks have created a problem, they will be unable to raise interest rates to curb inflation, because it will hurt economic activity

they will keep rates low and allow inflation to do its thing

The weird thing about fossil fuels is despite the 'great and good' saying we will speedily move to a green economy, the black gold is proving far more resilient than predicted.

rvZA

Honorary Master
So, it started. The US stockmarkets under the Biden regime dropped so much, it now officially trails that of both Trump and Obama. This is only the beginning. The selloff and correction has not started as yet. A massive fall, perhaps even a big crash, is coming in the US markets real soon.

3WA

Honorary Master
So, it started. The US stockmarkets under the Biden regime dropped so much, it now officially trails that of both Trump and Obama.

Good on Biden for encouraging a market correction. The US market was horribly overpriced. Biden is bringing us back to reality.

saturnz

Honorary Master
there is no real correction

bond yields are still low, markets will go up again after the FED announcement

BBSA

Honorary Master
Is the US in a bear market or is this just a healthy correction?

rvZA

Honorary Master
It's a bear market. Correction started around 4/5 January and the S&P500 already shed almost 7% of its value on a daily basis up to yesterday. Nasdaq's fall started a day earlier. This whole month shed almost 11.5%. The same with the Dow, continuous fall this month shedding around 4.1%.

No end in sight. Investors getting more nervous. I expect further selloffs. The biggest fall will likely come when the Fed hike the first rates.

I suspect the correction already started. Just not sure if it will end this year or the next. Perhaps even continue through 2024. Many investors thought this would have started end of last year. They were not really wrong. And they also did predict a massive fall in the markets. Some speaking as much as 60-70%.

Just read in the Business Maverick today that Coca-Cola Bottling Africa will have a secondary listing on the JSE sometime this year or early next year.

Reading the article, it looks like it could be a good long-term investment as it dominates bottling operations in SA and other southern African countries.

It's a bear market. Correction started around 4/5 January and the S&P500 already shed almost 7% of its value on a daily basis up to yesterday. Nasdaq's fall started a day earlier. This whole month shed almost 11.5%. The same with the Dow, continuous fall this month shedding around 4.1%.

No end in sight. Investors getting more nervous. I expect further selloffs. The biggest fall will likely come when the Fed hike the first rates.

I suspect the correction already started. Just not sure if it will end this year or the next. Perhaps even continue through 2024. Many investors thought this would have started end of last year. They were not really wrong. And they also did predict a massive fall in the markets. Some speaking as much as 60-70%.

Why do you think the JSE is going the opposite way? All very odd.

e4et

Expert Member

My 4IR is also dumping :-(
I'm also down 13% on my S&P 500 inside my tfsa