Stock Watch [Disclaimer: "by non-registered amateurs"]

Visser

Expert Member
The markets have been trading sideways for some time now. It will continue to do so, perhaps with a bit more decline, as capital outflows continue. The markets will eventually settle in the next 10-15 years and then trade sideways for the unforeseeable future. Best is to explore options on getting your money invested out of the country.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
The markets have been trading sideways for some time now. It will continue to do so, perhaps with a bit more decline, as capital outflows continue. The markets will eventually settle in the next 10-15 years and then trade sideways for the unforeseeable future. Best is to explore options on getting your money invested out of the country.
Where did you buy that crystal ball?

McT

The Humble Scot!
Where did you buy that crystal ball?
Feels like it was written by someone who has been badly burned.

For what it's worth, despite the so-called sideways movement mentioned above, my meager investments in my JSE OST has appreciated from ~R142K to ~R165K as at COB Friday. I usually put R500 p/m into the OST account. Fees are around R100 p/m.

I am not a financial investor's big toe and seem to be doing something right without moving everything elsewhere.

jman

Expert Member
Feels like it was written by someone who has been badly burned.

For what it's worth, despite the so-called sideways movement mentioned above, my meager investments in my JSE OST has appreciated from ~R142K to ~R165K as at COB Friday. I usually put R500 p/m into the OST account. Fees are around R100 p/m.

I am not a financial investor's big toe and seem to be doing something right without moving everything elsewhere.
You're spending 20% of what you put in there every month on fees.. best move to easy equities, their fees will be a fraction of that

McT

The Humble Scot!
You're spending 20% of what you put in there every month on fees.. best move to easy equities, their fees will be a fraction of that
Maybe. But I am comfortable with the drain to fees (for the time being). For me it adds value of the information companies I have access to, webinars, free seminars and whatnot. I also have a Tax-Free Savings Acct which I am channeling most of my revenue to. For me it is an interest and a hobby, which one day will hopefully become a secondary revenue stream.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
This is not directly in response to you but more general.

I understand this point of view, it makes sense within the context of what we are seeing in the SA market. But if we take fear out of the equation and look at the fundamentals, what opportunities do we have? I see an expensive US market, a very flat EU and UK market and finally in terms of valuation an EM market which is looking cheap.

Not to mention that the rand is now very weak.

I still think that long term, keeping your cash at home in the local market is NOT the right choice, most of your cash should be invested internationally either through Rand denominated shares and ETFs or directly move the money out. However right now there is an argument to be made to buy up some emerging market assets and keep your money in Rands until the Rand firms up again.

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
I have some money I've been keeping in a savings account in the bank at moderate interest below CPI. Are there any ETFs available that are pretty low in risk but track above CPI? I've looked at Satrix ILBI, but when looking at the charts something seems "off". It's like it doesn't perform as advertised.

schumi

Honorary Master
I have some money I've been keeping in a savings account in the bank at moderate interest below CPI. Are there any ETFs available that are pretty low in risk but track above CPI? I've looked at Satrix ILBI, but when looking at the charts something seems "off". It's like it doesn't perform as advertised.
Similar boat , minimum investment 25k. fees seem high but I liked the performance net fees . I put some into this fund http://www.sharenetinvestments.co.za/investments/fundDetail.php?fund=income

http://www.morningstar.co.za/za/funds/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=F00000NMHX

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Everywhere is bleeding this year. Anyone have a strategy for investing their annual bonus heading into 2019?

I want to believe that the SA market is due for a rebound but which ETF or basket of stocks to pick? Or is that wishful thinking? I would prefer to move the cash out to the USA but the Rand is too weak imo at the moment.

Pegasus

Expert Member
Retail bonds are also an option.
https://secure.rsaretailbonds.gov.za/

The 5 year fixed rate is 9.25%

Bundu

Expert Member
If the company is paid in dollars (a prime example being mining companies) then they get a better return when the Rand is weaker. A weak Rand can offset lower commodity prices.
correct! if we were still at R6/USD, I doubt many companies that export would be able to