Stolen 3G SIM card - who is liable for voice call abuse? Network or client?

Saajid

Expert Member
A colleague of mine had his 3G SIM card and modem stolen, and it was only after a month when he received a R7,000 bill from his network operator that he realised it was stolen.

The SIM card was used to make local and international voice calls. Are these services not supposed to be blocked on a 3G contract? Now he is sitting with a bill of R7k and he doesn't know what to do.

My feeling is that if he signed a 3G contract, and not a voice contract, he is not liable for the voice calls.

I'm not sure what the Ts & Cs of his contract state, will look into this, but can anyone out there provide further clarity?

Haldex

Expert Member
He is liable to notify the network to lock it as soon as it's been stolen. how long did he wait till he requested the lock the line?
All sim cards have voice, SMS and data active you have to request which services you want blocked.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
It is the clients responsibility to notify the relevant network and have the sim locked immediately and have a sim swop done. The network will not accept responsibility if this was not done.

Saajid

Expert Member
This was done, but only after the R7k bill, when he picked up all the international calls, and went looking for his 3G modem and SIM card, and realised it was stolen

I think his main gripe is that he only wanted the contract for 3G, and nothing else, but the SIM card was enabled not only for local calls, but also international, and whoever stole the SIM card made a number of international calls. Is this standard practice across the networks? And does he have a legal foot to stand on if he refuses to pay for any usage that is not data-related?

R13...

Honorary Master
This was done, but only after the R7k bill, when he went looking for his card.

I think his main gripe is that he only wanted the contract for 3G, and nothing else, but the SIM card was enabled not only for local calls, but also international. Is this standard practice across the networks? And does he have a legal foot to stand on and refuse to pay for usage that is not data-related?
Voice is active by default on these data contracts.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
This was done, but only after the R7k bill, when he picked up all the international calls, and went looking for his 3G modem and SIM card, and realised it was stolen

I think his main gripe is that he only wanted the contract for 3G, and nothing else, but the SIM card was enabled not only for local calls, but also international, and whoever stole the SIM card made a number of international calls. Is this standard practice across the networks? And does he have a legal foot to stand on if he refuses to pay for any usage that is not data-related?

I cannot speak for other networks or service providers...but no..with Vodacom SP it is not standard practice to enable a number to make international calls or roaming. It needs to be asked for by customers.