Stop - Don't buy that new graphics card just yet

ekske1

Executive Member
The term “relatively affordable” is important here, as the first online listings for the RTX 2060 in South Africa show that the card will range from R7,500 to R10,000.

For the this price, Nvidia promises that users will receive better performance on games compared to using a GeForce GTX 1060 or GTX 1070 Ti.
Or just get ps4 and xbone...

lol @ "affordable" being R7,500 to R10,000.

That said an upgrade is due for the master which is not only just the gpu. ahaha.

Swa

Honorary Master
The RTX 2060 aims to dominate the mid-range gaming market and features Nvidia’s Turing architecture, ray tracing, GDDR6 memory, and 240 Tensor Cores for deep learning.
A $699 card mid range? Also no way it will sell for R10k.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Way different gaming experiences, can't even compare the two platforms.
Why not? One is the price of a gfx card, allows you to plug into your TV and play in the comfort of your couch.
The other you can play Dota, WoW and some real time strategy on? Yes the graphics will be better in ported games. But for that you've got to pay.
Oh and the pc guys can't use controllers. I've seen it they just can't it's weird.

Genisys

Executive Member
Why not? One is the price of a gfx card, allows you to plug into your TV and play in the comfort of your couch.
The other you can play Dota, WoW and some real time strategy on? Yes the graphics will be better in ported games. But for that you've got to pay.
Oh and the pc guys can't use controllers. I've seen it they just can't it's weird.
As a PC guy I can't use a controller. The main difference is if want to play games at 144Hz and play very competitive games PC is where its at.

Swa

Honorary Master
I can use a controller and even prefer one for some games. Guess it's how we grew up.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I can use a controller and even prefer one for some games. Guess it's how we grew up.
You can but a lot can't. It's funny to watch sometimes. It takes me a few seconds to adjust back to one or the other.

ekske1

Executive Member
Way different gaming experiences, can't even compare the two platforms.
Whois comparing; for 10k you can get ps4 and xbone if you can get them at ±5k each. That's all I was pointing out and anything more you added yourself.

ekske1

Executive Member
Go play gears and dead space on a controller. You'd adapt quickly or die a lot, its pretty much the same going from keyboard only to wsad + mouse. For the younings who never go to do that fun conversion. Duke3d and going on with Quake1 was the first titles I actually played strafe mode (kb+mouse) vs turrent mode (kb only). Hell we were playing descent 1 with just a keyboard whereas nowadays I do it with a hosas setup...

Lupus

Honorary Master
Go play gears and dead space on a controller. You'd adapt quickly or die a lot, its pretty much the same going from keyboard only to wsad + mouse. For the younings who never go to do that fun conversion. Duke3d and going on with Quake1 was the first titles I actually played strafe mode (kb+mouse) vs turrent mode (kb only). Hell we were playing descent 1 with just a keyboard whereas nowadays I do it with a hosas setup...
Duke I never used the mouse for as it had an odd Z plane compared to Quake, but only after 20 years did I find a new secret as I was using the Z plane on the Xbox One version :)

ekske1

Executive Member
Duke I never used the mouse for as it had an odd Z plane compared to Quake, but only after 20 years did I find a new secret as I was using the Z plane on the Xbox One version :)
I used to use a key bind on med kit + move. So that way you'd always have your hp up.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
If you are patient just play games that are 3-5 years old, works for me.
Yes, this is me.

But also something to remember is that most modern games work just fine on even entry level cards, at lower resolutions and lower FPS. There is no reason to wait, just so you can play at 80FPS at 1440p Ultra.

40fps on 1080P medium is almost as pretty.

If you can tweek settings like shadows and reduce your sampling etc. then modern games are still good to look at..