Stop tele-marketing - The DMA National OPT OUT database

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Yes, it is legit.

And it has worked for me and all colleagues and family who have joined.

The marketing I do get is either SMSs from non-DMASA members and DMASA members who I have a "relationship" with.

Last edited:

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
A lot of companies ignore this list though. I still get marketing calls and SMSes even though I am on the opt-out database, although not that many.

@udiS3

Excellent! I'm going to give this a try...

@DrJohnZoidberg I guess if the company is registered/affiliated with the DMA they have to respect the list? But not all companies will be affiliated with the DMA.

flarkit

Executive Member
It's been a few weeks since I've had a call and I'm almost hoping they call me, since I have a few questions of my own for them. I wonder whether their calling budgets can handle the added time...

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Being a former 8ta subscriber (now TM) I welcome telemarketers. I just pop them on speaker, um and ah once in a while, get them to repeat themselves, and generally try and keep them on the hook for as long as possible.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Being a former 8ta subscriber (now TM) I welcome telemarketers. I just pop them on speaker, um and ah once in a while, get them to repeat themselves, and generally try and keep them on the hook for as long as possible.

I tell them to voetsek :D

flarkit

Executive Member
It's almost futile to expect telemarketers to stop their nonsense, so I'm going to start costing them more money than it's worth to call me.

I wonder if we can register premium call numbers as individuals? Like this person did in the UK:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-23869462

That's awesome, give that man a bell! Oh no, wait... bad idea :D

Has anyone even heard of someone actually buying insurance, cell phones, or airtime after being cold-called? Seriously???

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Its legit, but I would never use them...

The fact that their database was leaked was enough for me to not want to use them ever...

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
A lot of companies ignore this list though. I still get marketing calls and SMSes even though I am on the opt-out database, although not that many.

I usually just reply with **** off or stop (depending on my mood). both have the same result for those that ignore the opt out list.

Wish I could get these "exciting new finance opportunity" Chinese people to **** off.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I usually just reply with **** off or stop (depending on my mood). both have the same result for those that ignore the opt out list.

Wish I could get these "exciting new finance opportunity" Chinese people to **** off.

Does anything else than STOP or NO or YES (depending on the service offered) actually work? Does the system not look for keywords in the messages?

Taranis

Banned
Does anything else than STOP or NO or YES (depending on the service offered) actually work? Does the system not look for keywords in the messages?
You have to pay for sending STOP. A message or two every day could work out quite expensive,

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
You have to pay for sending STOP. A message or two every day could work out quite expensive,

That's the sad part, and as far as I know, we're not supposed to pay for opt-out messages. I just block the numbers I don't want to receive calls or messages from.

Wall

Sports Addict
I don'get spam because, my number is an original number ( hasn't been recycled) and I don't give my number to any mofo company that wants it. very very careful about that.