Stop what you're doing right now and take a photo

APoc184

Honorary Master
No it's not. And you can also get adapters that help.
I had one of those adapters back in my Nikon days. Haven't bothered again when I restarted with Canon.

They work nice enough but I also had to use Prestik to keep the aperture open on the AF lenses. No dedicated aperture ring on those lenses so the aperture defaults to closed when the lever is released.

This time I simply used the Macro range on my 24-70mm F4. It's not too shabby but I think a dedicated 105mm Macro will be a much nicer toy for such moments.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Very cool... where is that? Not sure but it looks different to the tropical house gecko - depending on size, could also be one of the dwarf geckos. Was he out during day time or evening?
Not sure about the type. We are in Garsfontein Pretoria. It is extremely small. Probably 2cm in length.
There are much bigger ones around the garage as well. These small ones tend to hang around inside the house.

She caught him around 16h00 this afternoon. They are all over our place. Never actually thought she would catch one. Been trying for days. We left her at it because it kept her busy for hours :p

Daruk

Honorary Master
Not sure about the type. We are in Garsfontein Pretoria. It is extremely small. Probably 2cm in length.
There are much bigger ones around the garage as well. These small ones tend to hang around inside the house.

She caught him around 16h00 this afternoon. They are all over our place. Never actually thought she would catch one. Been trying for days. We left her at it because it kept her busy for hours :p
Hahaha good thinking lol. I helped a local conservation expert do a study on the tropical house gecko which is an invader - some time in 1990. They were completely absent shortly before that (in my hometown). We suspected that global warming was the reason for their spread. They are nocturnal so usually only show up at night. Will Google a bit. Want to see what yours is!

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
They work nice enough but I also had to use Prestik to keep the aperture open on the AF lenses. No dedicated aperture ring on those lenses so the aperture defaults to closed when the lever is released.
Canon doesn't have the lever - you just set it to the correct aperture and then remove the lens.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Canon doesn't have the lever - you just set it to the correct aperture and then remove the lens.

And so I learn something new again. I'll be honest I never even bothered to look at the Canon lens and mounting because it was such a frustration with the Nikon back in the day.

Might give it a try again. But yeah. Not going to find an adapter anytime soon now. Or a dedicated macro lens for that matter.

Daisy Cloudskitter

Expert Member
Hahaha good thinking lol. I helped a local conservation expert do a study on the tropical house gecko which is an invader - some time in 1990. They were completely absent shortly before that (in my hometown). We suspected that global warming was the reason for their spread. They are nocturnal so usually only show up at night. Will Google a bit. Want to see what yours is!
^^ We didn't see a single house gecko in Joburg, but they're regulars here in KZN. ( they stay in the garage during the day, use my car roof as a toilet ).

Also got me Googling, Apoc's daughter's catch looks like a juvenile 'Transvaal Thick Toed gecko' ?

img_8896-jpg.png

Daruk

Honorary Master
^^ We didn't see a single house gecko in Joburg, but they're regulars here in KZN. ( they stay in the garage during the day, use my car roof as a toilet ).

Also got me Googling, Apoc's daughter's catch looks like a juvenile 'Transvaal Thick Toed gecko' ?

The head definitely looks right though I'm not sure about the tail, that's why I was holding back.... They seem to have fatter tails, but that juvi looks like the tail isn't quite as pronounced so could well be.

Some nice pics here https://www.ispotnature.org/communi...nary/11814/pachydactylus-affinis/observations

Trying to figure out if these are arboreal or not.

Last edited:

APoc184

Honorary Master
Along with the macro lens I now also need a 600mm lens to use with my 2x extender

Best I could do with my 200mm + 2x extender tonight.

Handheld because my 4yo decided my collar mount needs to go somewhere in his 4 boxes of toys. Will teach me to leave it lying on my desk instead of putting it in my bag.

IMG_2992.jpg

APoc184

Honorary Master
Found these two in the driveway yesterday. Tried taking pics then but kids were playing outside so they wouldn't come close.

This morning was better. But jeez they are very very cautious. Just picking up the camera to my face sees them running away.

Eventually got these two shots.

IMG_3012.jpgIMG_3014.jpg

Daruk

Honorary Master
Dikkops are the best
We had a pair nesting in our yard years ago. Pets can make it difficult for them.
They make the coolest noises after dark lol. Spooky haha.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Just spoke to the neighbour. He saw me out with the camera.

They are nesting in his yard... No pets there but apparently the feral cats in the neighbourhood have been causing them lots of trouble and they have been even more shy now.

He says he is sure he saw a little one a few days ago but now it is nowhere to be seen.

I'll walk up the street later to his place and take the camera along.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Just spoke to the neighbour. He saw me out with the camera.

They are nesting in his yard... No pets there but apparently the feral cats in the neighbourhood have been causing them lots of trouble and they have been even more shy now.

He says he is sure he saw a little one a few days ago but now it is nowhere to be seen.

I'll walk up the street later to his place and take the camera along.
Ja, it's sad, but feral cats are the bane of modern society. If you or he wants to catch them to have them sterilised, just holler, I have a good design for a trap.