Stopping load-shedding (in the short term) is easy, but it's a bad strategy - Eskom

Bighit

Expert Member
This is literally the same thing that's been said by each head of Eskom. People are just falling over themselves to make excuses for this man.
Yeah, coz he introduced load shedding to us, he should pay right

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
For how long have we been stopping load-shedding, what is deemed as in the short term?

Gazg

All of the above with a little bit of sabotage thrown in, creates the perfect mix.

furpile

Expert Member
Yeah, there was a massive economic collapse called the global financial crisis that pushed demand to its lowest level in years.
Why did so many people buy generators back then? I remember there being loadshedding/blackouts but I am not sure. I just remember a lot of people bought generators then.

WollieVerstege

Why did so many people buy generators back then? I remember there being loadshedding/blackouts but I am not sure. I just remember a lot of people bought generators then.
There were issues just before the economic collapse. As you can see from the table the Loadshedding was escalating from 2007 to 2008 - more than doubling in one year. The economic crash for SA came in the latter part of 2008 and onwards.
The global economic crisis averted a real crap storm here with electricity. Not that the reprieve was taken advantage of.

Dudlu

Expert Member
Yeah, coz he introduced load shedding to us, he should pay right
You sound like the type of person to cry "before my time" everytime something breaks under your watch. It doesn't matter that he didn't introduce loadshedding. Neither did 5 odd CEOs before him. He was brought on to fix the problems plaguing Eskom and he's running with the same narrative evoked by every CEO brought on before him which didn't fly then but does with him.

quovadis

Executive Member
You sound like the type of person to cry "before my time" everytime something breaks under your watch. It doesn't matter that he didn't introduce loadshedding. Neither did 5 odd CEOs before him. He was brought on to fix the problems plaguing Eskom and he's running with the same narrative evoked by every CEO brought on before him which didn't fly then but does with him.
I think you need to take into consideration that no load shedding is the goal but more importantly their financial situation was dire. My understanding is that their financials have improved (something like an R80bn debt reduction) which should be factored into your assessment. Anyone can halt load shedding just buying diesel and burning it like his predecessors did.

Swa

Honorary Master
You assume Eskom is something that can be fixed. This just reaffirms what I've been saying the whole time, Eskom is FUBAR. We should get other projects going and sell off Eskom while there's still some electricity left.

Slegdehammer67

You cannot blame a new Captain for a badly damaged ship that was severely damaged anyway for decades AND it was steeringless anyway. The damage that has been done over the last two-plus decades AND and how that boat stayed afloat is a fckuning miracle and I guess only happened but by the grace of God.

He has now to do what the fckkuers before him did NOT do other than filling their pockets with money and get the show back on the road as it were...

Anybody who thought that this was going to be 'a walk in the park' has his/her head SO far up their own backsides, where there is clearly a huge lack of 02, which of course inhibits clear thinking.

I cannot even begin to think what maintenance shambles he inherited there - this is going to take time I'm afraid and it may even get worse before it gets better...good luck

rodmur

We have just had the coldest winter in 12 years and little load shedding. WELL DONE. Now all he as to do is cut off the ALL the non payers