Stormers - what do we have to do to win a season?

jan12345

I am a solid Stormers supporter, but i can't help thinking that we are never going to win a bloody season, and just before I kick myself for thinking that, I take a look at the historic results, which is as follows:

Super 14 positions

2010 .. 2nd
2009 .. 10th
2008 .. 5th
2007 .. 10th
2006 .. 11th

2005 .. 9th
2004 .. 3rd .. (lost semi-final to Crusaders)
2003 .. 9th
2002 .. 7th
2001 .. 7th
2000 .. 5th
1999 .. 4th .. (lost semi-final to Otago Highlanders)
1998 .. 9th
1996 .. 11th

To think we were once the unbeatable team sounds unreal. But I will remain loyal and without prejudice towards my team. I am surely rooting for them.:)

Avenue

Expert Member
well take heart, each year the stormers are made up of different players, so past stats mean nothing. rather look at how they have been performing in this years competition and you will see that have a real chance to take it.

the lions on the other hand.......

pope24

Expert Member
I was going to say: It could be worse, you could be a lions supporter. Like me.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
We can probably still end first, but that is a really long shot, but stranger things have happened. But what worries me is that even if we come first and have a home final it is probably going to be against the reds and they have already beaten us at home this year.

jan12345

We can probably still end first, but that is a really long shot, but stranger things have happened. But what worries me is that even if we come first and have a home final it is probably going to be against the reds and they have already beaten us at home this year.
That is true, if we can break the habit of choking in the semi-finals, and as far as the reds beating us in newlands is concerned - lightning does not strike the same tree twice! (i hope i won't regret saying that)

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
To think we were once the unbeatable team sounds unreal. But I will remain loyal and without prejudice towards my team. I am surely rooting for them.:)
The Stormers? Unbeatable? Once? When? Or are you talking about Province, in which case in those days you were also the ONLY team...

phoneJunky

Executive Member
The Stormers? Unbeatable? Once? When? Or are you talking about Province, in which case in those days you were also the ONLY team...
No, there were 5 teams which later became more - like transvaal split into northen transvaal and transvaal. But I get your point, the cheetahs wasn't there.

jan12345

That's right, if you want to be technical, the stormers was WP back then, but although the name changed the game remained the same!

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
That's right, if you want to be technical, the stormers was WP back then, but although the name changed the game remained the same!
Erm, no. WP and Stormers are two VERY different teams: Stormers is supposed to be a complex team assembled from WP and I think it is Boland. So, it is two different teams comprising the "unbeatable" WP and the team that could not beat them, Boland.

Of course, the game has remained the same. 'n Drie is nog 'n drie al is dit 'n vyf.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Erm, no. WP and Stormers are two VERY different teams: Stormers is supposed to be a complex team assembled from WP and I think it is Boland. So, it is two different teams comprising the "unbeatable" WP and the team that could not beat them, Boland.

Of course, the game has remained the same. 'n Drie is nog 'n drie al is dit 'n vyf.

Yes, but the Stormers team never really included Boland players. I am from the Boland, but we never really played well. And It might have started as a inter town game, but since it was recorded all the major unions took part in the competition.

But yes, since it became a yearly event, the Bulls have dominated the Currie cup

jan12345

That's fantastic stomers lost against the bulls, it does not help to play good in the last 10 minutes. I think I know what we could do to win, fire Brain Habana, Ricky January, and bring Pieter Grand back to Fly Half. ****ing bulls

BobsLawnService

Expert Member
I think continuity has something to do with it. I may be seeing it wrong but it seems like every year the Stormers replace half their team. The Bulls were so good for so long because they had a good team that was stable for four or five seasons.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
when would we know if the stormers get a semi final or final at newlands?
SEMI: Only at the very end of the stretch, almost amazingly, if some things happen:
Wins for Crusaders, Blues: BPs come into play for these two and then total wins, putting one of them 2nd at least. Stormers could then be 4th overall but 1st in SA. They both fail to pick up a win, BPs aside, Stormers stay second.

Bulls pick up 5pt bonus win, Stormers should still be top of SA conference on PD unless Bulls trump Sharks with 90 which is so unlikely I will go ahead and call it impossible. In either scenario, though, that means the Stormers need to pick up a point or two from the Cheetahs match - the last encounter of the normal season - to ensure a home Semi.

If, with any luck, the Reds fall without points this weekend, then the Stormers could even sneak into the top spot, securing the home Final (provided the semi is held). The only other way for a home final would be one of the other teams to kick the reds out.

At least, that's my understanding of the format as it stands.