Strange message marked as coming from VODACOM

Belix

Hi Folks
Got a message yesterday that shows as coming from VODACOM. All the message says is "Please click to proceed -" and then gives a web address.
The web address given is http://176.34.237.6:9020/InstallProfile/ios/requestID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX where X is a bunch of numbers and letters?
If I return a call it gives the sender's number as 8632266

Since The message looked to come from Vodacom, I clicked the link, but nothing happened.

Anyone know what this is, and whether it's legit or doing something I need to worry about now?

Whois on the IP gives Amazon Data services??

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Hi Folks
Got a message yesterday that shows as coming from VODACOM. All the message says is "Please click to proceed -" and then gives a web address.
The web address given is http://176.34.237.6:9020/InstallProfile/ios/requestID=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX where X is a bunch of numbers and letters?

Since The message looked to come from Vodacom, I clicked the link, but nothing happened.

Anyone know what this is, and whether it's legit or doing something I need to worry about now?

You probably signed up to a a WASP service somehow (one of the RX per day things). Are you on prepaid or contract?

Never ever click on SMS links.

aybbleek

Expert Member
Hi Folks

Whois on the IP gives Amazon Data services??

Aiiii, you know how to do a WHOIS lookup but still click on that? :(

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Amazing after years of security experts drumming into people to not open links that they are not sure of.....people still do.

I clicked the link, but nothing happened.

Nothing happened that you know of.

You returned the call and clicked on the link?!

Better watch your bill very carefully and scan your phone for malware.

Last edited:

Belix

I get a bunch of messages from VODACOM selling something or other so give me a break. Not like it was from some random number.
On contract, checked with VODACOM and no wasp services...
a5a3d6b2805c55c6e2f40fe5392289ea.jpg

Last edited:

Belix

21e5524caf29a20dfd64af6bbb5ebce0.jpg

I have received message since on the same number that look to be from Vodacom, so I think it's safe to say the original message WAS from vodacom

RedhotNeo

Expert Member
21e5524caf29a20dfd64af6bbb5ebce0.jpg

I have received message since on the same number that look to be from Vodacom, so I think it's safe to say the original message WAS from vodacom

how did vodacom notice you had some dropped calls????

ZR6RON

IP Address: 176.34.237.6
Organization: DUB5 EC
City: Dublin
Country of Origin: Ireland

PaulDurham

I recently got the same message directing me to the same URL. It also appears to come from Vodacom. I have logged a ticket with Vodacom with all the details - they are investigating.

bernardlinde

Had the same issue and got this from Vodacom today: "Dear customer, kindly be advised that the link you've received is WASP services which are not from Vodacom. SMS "STOP ALL" to 31050 to unsubscribe. Thank you."