• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

Strange Screensaver issue - Windows 10

RoflCopterZA

Hi all

I have this weird issue I really can't get to the bottom of.

Recently, whenever my screensaver comes on, its starts stuttering and lagging. During this time, the GPU usage shoots to 100% and CPU spikes like mad.

Move the mouse and we're back to windows and back to normal usage and idle.

All drivers are updated etc.

I've tried disabling the screensaver and select the monitor to power off after 15 minutes and does the same thing.

Anyone have any ideas how to see what is causing this?

Many thanks

neoprema

Expert Member
Sure your AV is not trying to scan the disks or something when it thinks its idle? that shouldn't eat CPU that much but you never know...

IF it always does it, start perfmon and get it to log metrics of all processes using the CPU. leave it running and let the screensaver come on so the problem happens. Go back to the perfmon logs/graphs and check what spiked when it happened.

sajunky

Honorary Master
IF it always does it, start perfmon and get it to log metrics of all processes using the CPU. leave it running and let the screensaver come on so the problem happens. Go back to the perfmon logs/graphs and check what spiked when it happened.
Nope. I checked it and reported in other thread (it is why this smearing campain against sajunky). There is also a hard drive activity (indicated by a hardware LED), but none of these activities are associated with any process on the list. Cryptomining as I said...

Last edited:

simm_card

Expert Member
Nope. I checked it and reported in other thread (it is why this spearing campain against sajunky). There is also a hard drive activity (indicated by a hardware LED), but none of these activities are associated with any process on the list. Cryptomining as I said...

RoflCopterZA

Ok so, upon further investigation, it happens when my pc is at idle (irrespective of screensaver) for a few mins then shoots up to full GPU and about 60 - 70% cpu usage. I think you're right @ sajunky...

sajunky

Honorary Master
Ok so, upon further investigation, it happens when my pc is at idle (irrespective of screensaver) for a few mins then shoots up to full GPU and about 60 - 70% cpu usage. I think you're right @ sajunky...
You can try disabling superfetch service, others reported it would help, but I don't like such solutions, while Mircosoft keeps silent. The problem was known since v1607, still no fix.

RoflCopterZA

Turned out to be a Bitcoin Miner Trojan virus. Downloaded Malwarebytes and problem sorted. Thanks for the help and yes I'm still using a screensaver like its 1998 :crylaugh:

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Turned out to be a Bitcoin Miner Trojan virus. Downloaded Malwarebytes and problem sorted. Thanks for the help and yes I'm still using a screensaver like its 1998 :crylaugh:
Next time use Linux and not have to worry about these problems.