Stretched Tires Legality in South Africa

RuhanSA079

Just seen some guys stretching their car tires, etc. It may look cool to and stuff, but when I see people drive on the highways with the tires, I begin to worry for the safety of the tires and the driver... Since it catched on here in SA, people stretch the tires out of spec, making it unsafe on the roads. What is your thoughts on the subject of stretched tires? And is it even legal in South Africa?

FYI, I don't do tire stretching, as I learnt my lessons of pushing near the limits or over the limits of something, breakage is inevitable...

ubercal

Expert Member
Bought my current daily driver with stretched tyres and drove with it for about a year like that.It looked good but was starting to get worried about the safety aspect.So had to roll fenders and play with the suspension to fit the right tyres to the rims.Was a mission but now running right .I think the only reason why the previous owner was using stretched tyres was so the tyres wouldnt hit the wheel arch and the struts.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Bought my current daily driver with stretched tyres and drove with it for about a year like that.It looked good but was starting to get worried about the safety aspect.So had to roll fenders and play with the suspension to fit the right tyres to the rims.Was a mission but now running right .I think the only reason why the previous owner was using stretched tyres was so the tyres wouldnt hit the wheel arch and the struts.
That's debatable.

ubercal

Expert Member
That's debatable.
it actually did look good together with the lower profile look... was only small stretch.Dont confuse those peasant vw stance guys with us scooby owners.We play on another level.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Honestly that has to be the stupidest thing I've heard. Only applicable to the kind of moron who thinks putting oversized rims on their car looks cool in the first place, but then you run into a problem of the tyre rubbing against the body so the 'solution' is to fit a narrower tyre and stretch the walls to fit the wider rim.

Whilst not technically illegal, it has to be unsafe.

Some of the most commonly reported issues are increased risks of blowouts, curbing the alloy, and deflating tires.

Tires are engineered so that the bead is 90 degrees perpendicular of the bead seat area. When you stretch tires this bead is not seated properly and this results in a poor seal. If you drive your vehicle rough or hit something like a pothole this can cause sudden tire deflation.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I hadn't heard of this until now, so will see what the web throws up. Seems insanely reckless to operate a vehicle on a public roadway with the tyres not at spec as per manufacturer's design and engineering. You're of course free to risk yourself on your own roads, but you have a moral obligation not to put others at risk by operating such a critically important safety-affecting component outside of its design spec.

It's one thing to ignore human laws. It's quite another to play fast and loose with the laws of physics and engineering.

Last edited:

asshat99

it actually did look good together with the lower profile look... was only small stretch.Dont confuse those peasant vw stance guys with us scooby owners.We play on another level.
Very easy to confuse when you are doing the same stupid things by your own admission.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Just seen some guys stretching their car tires, etc. It may look cool to and stuff, but when I see people drive on the highways with the tires, I begin to worry for the safety of the tires and the driver... Since it catched on here in SA, people stretch the tires out of spec, making it unsafe on the roads. What is your thoughts on the subject of stretched tires? And is it even legal in South Africa?

FYI, I don't do tire stretching, as I learnt my lessons of pushing near the limits or over the limits of something, breakage is inevitable...
No it doesn't, it looks retarded...

gamer16

Honorary Master
Whats with the culture of popularizing things that are done incorrectly these days? The extreme negative camber and lowering comes to mind.

gamer16

Honorary Master
I've seen a few cars with stretched tyres bouncing about on the roads. It looks like s.hit to me
Their lowered as well, and looks like they have welded the shock absorbers so they have no suspension otherwise the tires would rub.

nazmo

I have no issue with customisation, hell i put a spoiler on my car. but when there's a safety implication. its a big NO NO. i dont care what you say. Tires, along with brakes are the 2 most important safety aspects of a car. if you put them out of spec. you risking yourself and others. End of story.

ubercal

Expert Member
I have no issue with customisation, hell i put a spoiler on my car. but when there's a safety implication. its a big NO NO. i dont care what you say. Tires, along with brakes are the 2 most important safety aspects of a car. if you put them out of spec. you risking yourself and others. End of story.
100% correct thats why i have the following ...

Brakes:
EBC slotted and dimpled discs
EBC yellow pads

Tyres:
Michlin pilot sport 4

Suspension:
BC Racing coilovers

That sounds safe to me :unsure:

nazmo

100% correct thats why i have the following ...

Brakes:
EBC slotted and dimpled discs
EBC yellow pads

Tyres:
Michlin pilot sport 4

Suspension:
BC Racing coilovers

That sounds safe to me :unsure:
Yeah sure, as long as your tires arent out of spec :p