Soweto teachers are planning a full-scale strike while the matric final examinations are in progress.
The strike action is planned to begin on October 16, the day matric pupils sit for their English second language paper.
The South African Democratic Teachers Union (Sadtu) is demanding the dismissal of the district director of the Gauteng department of education, Thami Mali, who they accuse of being at the forefront of the “ghost teachers” scandal.
Five district officials implicated in the scam have been reinstated pending further investigations, but Sadtu officials have said there can be no “fair” resolution as long as Mali is in his current post.
Gauteng pupils started writing their matric exams on Wednesday.
More than 6500 Sadtu members are expected to take part in the strike, which might affect 4000 matric pupils.
Sadtu had suspended the strike last month for further talks with the union’s national heads during the Congress of South African Trade Unions national congress, and with education MEC Angie Motshekga.
The union said it felt there would be no fair outcome if Mali continued to be in office.
Sadtu district 11 secretary Ronald Nyathi yesterday said the union felt it had no other choice but to strike.
He said Sadtu believed Mali was using the implicated officials to “take the fall for his own faults”.
“We want Mali suspended until the investigation ends. We are withdrawing our labour, which is the weapon we have to make that happen.
“If it means sacrificing the pupils of Soweto, so be it,” said Nyathi.
Gauteng education department spokesman Panyaza Lesufi yesterday sent a strong warning to Sadtu members who intended to strike.
“We have not been notified of the strike and anyone who participates should consider themselves dismissed.
“This would be an unprotected strike.
“There are laws in this country. We cannot have a strike in the middle of examinations,” Lesufi said.
Two of five people implicated in the “ghost teachers” scam will appear in the specialised commercial crimes court today.
Sowetan.
The strike action is planned to begin on October 16, the day matric pupils sit for their English second language paper.
The South African Democratic Teachers Union (Sadtu) is demanding the dismissal of the district director of the Gauteng department of education, Thami Mali, who they accuse of being at the forefront of the “ghost teachers” scandal.
Five district officials implicated in the scam have been reinstated pending further investigations, but Sadtu officials have said there can be no “fair” resolution as long as Mali is in his current post.
Gauteng pupils started writing their matric exams on Wednesday.
More than 6500 Sadtu members are expected to take part in the strike, which might affect 4000 matric pupils.
Sadtu had suspended the strike last month for further talks with the union’s national heads during the Congress of South African Trade Unions national congress, and with education MEC Angie Motshekga.
The union said it felt there would be no fair outcome if Mali continued to be in office.
Sadtu district 11 secretary Ronald Nyathi yesterday said the union felt it had no other choice but to strike.
He said Sadtu believed Mali was using the implicated officials to “take the fall for his own faults”.
“We want Mali suspended until the investigation ends. We are withdrawing our labour, which is the weapon we have to make that happen.
“If it means sacrificing the pupils of Soweto, so be it,” said Nyathi.
Gauteng education department spokesman Panyaza Lesufi yesterday sent a strong warning to Sadtu members who intended to strike.
“We have not been notified of the strike and anyone who participates should consider themselves dismissed.
“This would be an unprotected strike.
“There are laws in this country. We cannot have a strike in the middle of examinations,” Lesufi said.
Two of five people implicated in the “ghost teachers” scam will appear in the specialised commercial crimes court today.
Sowetan.