Student needing internet

Narcisse

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so hope I'm doing it right.

My domestic worker's daughter got accepted to UNISA. This means that she of course needs some things to get her assignments, do her assignments and to be able to hand them in through email. I bought her a laptop which I have just set up for her (using my Office 365 family plan), but of of course the issue now is internet access.

Ten years ago I just got back to SA, and I got a prepaid internet from Cell C that gave me internet access for a year. Are there any such packages still available? In my case I think I paid R1000 and then got a certain amount of internet data each month (but that was a gazillion years ago in internet-world).

I have googled some prepaid deals, but it just all seem so vague and I'm not always sure how reliable some of these are, and are they more phone data deals. The idea is to give her the money to sign up for a 12-month package that has a once-off payment upfront, then she can Rica the sim card in her name. But any other ideas will be much appreciated!

She lives in either Hammanskraal or Moloto with her aunt, if that matters as far as coverage is concerned (I was thinking about rain here, which I'm not sure would work for her).

StefanB7

Rain could be an option, although a bit expensive. Uncapped off peak hours and R50 per gig on peak hours (Peak hours are from 6 in the evening to 11 that night). Or just R50 per gig all the time if you don't want uncapped off peak. You should check coverage first: www.rain.co.za (bottom of the page). You can buy their sims from takealot and register it online. She should have an 4G/LTE enabled phone to access the service.

Telkom prepaid fixed LTE could also be an option. Only available in Telkom LTE coverage areas. 5GB for R100, 10GB for R150, 20GB for R250, 40GB for 360. The bundles lasts for 2 months. You can just buy a regular Telkom prepaid SIM and change the tariff to prepaid fixed LTE.

Telkom also sells Internet Starter Pack Bundles that work on the Telkom/Vodacom networks, so she will have coverage. It's a once off payment and they allocate data each month for a year. 1GB p/m for a year - R505, 2GB p/m for a year - R1005. These bundles are more expensive than their fixed LTE bundles because they allow you to roam on Vodacom's network.

MTN and Vodacom also have similar pay once recurring data bundles but they are significantly more expensive.

Hope this helped. I'm not a pro but if you have more questions please feel free to ask.

argh

Cell C prepaid Gb valid for a year are available. I use them for internet access. They are loaded onto a sim card in a mobile, rechargeable (so works during load-shedding), mifi modem, also purchased from Cell C.

NorthPole

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so hope I'm doing it right.

My domestic worker's daughter got accepted to UNISA. This means that she of course needs some things to get her assignments, do her assignments and to be able to hand them in through email. I bought her a laptop which I have just set up for her (using my Office 365 family plan), but of of course the issue now is internet access.

Ten years ago I just got back to SA, and I got a prepaid internet from Cell C that gave me internet access for a year. Are there any such packages still available? In my case I think I paid R1000 and then got a certain amount of internet data each month (but that was a gazillion years ago in internet-world).

I have googled some prepaid deals, but it just all seem so vague and I'm not always sure how reliable some of these are, and are they more phone data deals. The idea is to give her the money to sign up for a 12-month package that has a once-off payment upfront, then she can Rica the sim card in her name. But any other ideas will be much appreciated!

She lives in either Hammanskraal or Moloto with her aunt, if that matters as far as coverage is concerned (I was thinking about rain here, which I'm not sure would work for her).

Also, UNISA gives a free lifetime office membership. She can simply download the software and login with her account UNISA details.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Browse Unisa's websites for freeUnisa has teamed up with Cell C, MTN, Telkom and Vodacom to ensure that you won't pay any data costs when visiting myUnisa or the Unisa website. This means that you can visit any Unisa website (any website with a Unisa address) for free! You can also download most of your study material from a Unisa website, free of charge. If, however, you visit any other website, such as YouTube and online journals - even if it forms part of your prescribed or recommended study resources - you will have to pay the relevant data costs for visiting non-Unisa websites and downloading content from them.

Cell-C have prepaid data bundles valid for 365 days.

https://www.cellc.co.za/cellc/get-databundles

100GB for R1599, 200GB for R1999. Smaller sizes available too, but the bigger ones are cheaper per MB.
You could start with one of the smaller ones to get an idea of how much data is needed.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
Telkom offer 10 gig a month at like R149 with a portable router.. ?
Mtn also have decent offerings via Afrihost. Just buy a cheap pocket router go on a month to month service rather

Matt91

Expert Member
Telkom offer 10 gig a month at like R149 with a portable router.. ?
Mtn also have decent offerings via Afrihost. Just buy a cheap pocket router go on a month to month service rather

^ This is probably the best idea, only problem is you can only use cat6 routers with the AH/MTN deals - AFAIK Telkom allows you to use just about any LTE capable router.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
^ This is probably the best idea, only problem is you can only use cat6 routers with the AH/MTN deals - AFAIK Telkom allows you to use just about any LTE capable router.
Yes, true story there... I think telkom is best for general Unisa work though.
Probably cheapest too

das Toktokken

Honorary Master
My only advice is to use channels other than email when dealing with UNISA. They are the slow to answer emails. Two weeks plus. If she can find a UNISA office closer to home she should ideally deal with queries that way.