Students to be taught there isn't a God

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Victorian state primary school students will soon be able to take religious education classes which teach there is no evidence God exists.

The Humanist Society of Victoria has developed a curriculum for primary pupils that the state government accreditation body says it intends to approve, The Sunday Age newspaper reported.

Accredited volunteers will be able to teach their philosophy in the class time allotted for religious instruction, the newspaper said.

As with lessons delivered by faith groups, parents will be able to request that their children do not participate.

"Atheistical parents will be pleased to hear that humanistic courses of ethics will soon be available in some state schools," Victorian Humanist Society president Stephen Stuart said.

The society does not consider itself to be a religious organisation and believes ethics have "no necessary connection with religion".

Humanists believe people are responsible for their own destiny and reject the notion of a supernatural force or God.
Link

An interesting addition, although I'm not sure how they go out disproving God's existence. Science can neither prove nor disprove God.

BCO

Honorary Master
An interesting addition, although I'm not sure how they go out disproving God's existence. Science can neither prove nor disprove God.
Nothing in the article about disproving god's existence.

Victorian state primary school students will soon be able to take religious education classes which teach there is no evidence God exists.
Russel's teapot etc.

I say foook that and let the kids themselves choose, maybe the kid would have gone a religious way but now you screwed it up for him/her, same goes for kids that might have never wanted to learn about any religion, dont force them.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Ja, why bother going to extremes either way. Just get on with educating the kids and leave the religion/philosophy out of it. This is going from bad to worse.

Ja, why bother going to extremes either way. Just get on with educating the kids and leave the religion/philosophy out of it. This is going from bad to worse.
+1

Schools are for making sure you can read and write, and do a little maths :p

Leave religion/non-religion out of it.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
There is nothing in this article about science (got nothing to do with it), and theres nothing in the article about disproving God.

They will simply say God does not exist. You dont need to disprove Unicorns or fire breathing dragons either (something science can not do either), so I guess these people see there is no point in disproving something that to them doesnt exist.

Until that ideal is met... if one is still going to be in the classroom then theres enough room for all views.

Last edited:

grayston

Expert Member
I say foook that and let the kids themselves choose, maybe the kid would have gone a religious way but now you screwed it up for him/her, same goes for kids that might have never wanted to learn about any religion, dont force them.
Meh. Religious kids will have to deal with atheists, and vice versa. Makes sense they should learn about where each group is coming from.

And anyway, it's only fair that atheism gets included in the debate.

Teach the Controversy! :D

PeterCH

Honorary Master
The topic title is misleading. They're not going to teach them that there 'isn't a God' but that religion is not a scientific concept. The two are vastly different. Teaching that 'God does not exist' would be teaching religion
- something which a secular school should not do.

Anyway, I was never taught that 'God existed' in any school so I fail
to see how this is groundbreaking other than a course in human 'ethics',
which are heavily borrowed from Christian theology anyway.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
There is nothing in this article about science (got nothing to do with it), and theres nothing in the article about disproving God.

They will simply say God does not exist.
Of course they will also say that the "D sub sJ 2463" subatomic particle also doesn't exist because there was NO PROOF FOR IT WHEN THEIR CURRICULUM WAS WRITTEN, only recently was this particle discovered:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ex/0305100

See how illogical your argument is?

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
The topic title is misleading. They're not going to teach them that there 'isn't a God' but that religion is not a scientific concept. The two are vastly different. Teaching that 'God does not exist' would be teaching religion
- something which a secular school should not do.

Anyway, I was never taught that 'God existed' in any school so I fail
to see how this is groundbreaking other than a course in human 'ethics',
which are heavily borrowed from Christian theology anyway.
LoL. Unique answer Pete. Cant say I agree with any of it.

Im sure the topic will come up as to the existence of God and I am sure the teacher will inform them as to how they see it. I totally got a religious education at school. I even remember the Bible teacher picking like a mean bastard on the underage atheists.

I hope very few of the ethics are based on Christianity (though most of the morality predates Christianity anyways.. including the 10 commandments).

About the only good message in that book is "Turn the other cheek" and "love thy neighbour".

I imagine Christian morality about woman grabbing penis`s and an eye for an eye will not be taught.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
LoL. Unique answer Pete. Cant say I agree with any of it.

Im sure the topic will come up as to the existence of God and I am sure the teacher will inform them as to how they see it. I totally got a religious education at school. I even remember the Bible teacher picking like a mean bastard on the underage atheists.

I hope very few of the ethics are based on Christianity (though most of the morality predates Christianity anyways.. including the 10 commandments).

About the only good message in that book is "Turn the other cheek" and "love thy neighbour".

I imagine Christian morality about woman grabbing penis`s and an eye for an eye will not be taught.
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showpost.php?p=2376742&postcount=11

My answer is correct and the logic thereof has been explained by the aforementioned example.

As for 'penis grabbing' I think you've been reading too many slash comics.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Of course they will also say that the "D sub sJ 2463" subatomic particle also doesn't exist because there was NO PROOF FOR IT WHEN THEIR CURRICULUM WAS WRITTEN, only recently was this particle discovered:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ex/0305100

See how illogical your argument is?
No. I dont. Particle physics and theology are two different fields. Its actually classic you use that example.. considering it what Christians that initially denied the atom existed.

Try to use scientific theory as an analogy for Christian Mythology is bleak.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
No. I dont. Particle physics and theology are two different fields. Its actually classic you use that example.. considering it what Christians that initially denied the atom existed.

Try to use scientific theory as an analogy for Christian Mythology is bleak.
Nonsense. You're just saying anything to defend your weak argument. The principle is the same. No scientist denies something because it can't be proven, they don't advocate it either - the scientific stance is neutral. Only a theologian can deny something without scientific proof and that's what you're doing - this school isn't doing it though and the topic is incorrect because it implies something else.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Nonsense. You're just saying anything to defend your weak argument. The principle is the same. No scientist denies something because it can't be proven, they don't advocate it either - the scientific stance is neutral. Only a theologian can deny something without scientific proof and that's what you're doing - this school isn't doing it though and the topic is incorrect because it implies something else.
They dont have to deny it. They dont have to deny unicorns and flying teacups either.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Well, if human psychology and history are anything to go by, this effort will have quite the opposite intended effect. If the report is true, this curriculum will lead to a religious revival as the youngsters grow up and later discover they were taught faith-based ideology not science. This will lead them straight into the hands of religious proselytes. Are these atheist-actists really so stoopid?

PeterCH

Honorary Master
They dont have to deny it. They dont have to deny unicorns and flying teacups either.
It's not their role to deny that. LOL.

They are teaching that God is NOT A SCIENTIFIC CONCEPT. They are not saying He does not exist.
You sound like an emotional Bible-thumper completely misunderstanding or over-reacting over this.