Study shows how much bigger Netflix is than Showmax in South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
How much bigger Netflix is than Showmax in South Africa

Far more South Africans pay for a Netflix subscription than those who pay for Showmax, according to research from comparison website Finder.

The site recently conducted Google Surveys among 28,547 adults in 18 countries and found that 56.15% of South African adults used at least one video streaming service.

This means South Africa ranked 10th for the number of people with at least one subscription.

New Zealand topped the list, with 68.26% of the respondents surveyed from its population saying they subscribed to at least one streaming service.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Showmax deserves more credit. It actually has really good content and we watch it at least as much as netflix (I have both). In fact in the past few months I think we have watched more showmax than netflix.
I only use it for the HBO stuff since Multichoice basically have the rights to it in SA...

Cius

Executive Member
I only use it for the HBO stuff since Multichoice basically have the rights to it in SA...
I hardly watch HBO (Band of brothers perhaps the only exception). For BBC stuff Showmax generally easily outpaces netflix.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Smartypants people cycle through Amazon prime, Netflix and showmax on a monthly or bimonthly rotation.

Crayons

I thought more than half the adults were unemployed. Why they using netflix.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Showmax deserves more credit. It actually has really good content and we watch it at least as much as netflix (I have both). In fact in the past few months I think we have watched more showmax than netflix.

Showmax's great advantage is HBO. I like Netflix, but HBO has better content.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Well I don't pay monthly for Showmax. Stacked a bunch of vouchers for R50 p/m. Wouldn't pay R99 p/m for it.

Lupus

Honorary Master
How many are paying for Premium DSTV? As it's rolled into that.

mjzar

Yeah but Multichoice can't develop software for sh*t. Their smart TV app is terrible
No one comes close to Netflix is terms of usability/reliability

Last edited:

Pt123

No one ever heard of My Family Cinema. I have this for about 3years now. Pay $3.49 about R50. Has a lot more content of movies and series than Netflix and showmax. And a lot cheaper. Myfamilycinema.com