Studying after the age of 30

Half_Frog

Expert Member
If you want to go further your education at a later stage in life, do the uni's still look at your Matric results?

R13...

Honorary Master
You'll need to at least have a pass and then depending on what you want to study. Had a guy who quit his teaching job, re-wrote maths and science to study engineering. He was mid thirties in first year.

Half_Frog

Expert Member
You'll need to at least have a pass and then depending on what you want to study. Had a guy who quit his teaching job, re-wrote maths and science to study engineering. He was mid thirties in first year.
I do have a pass but might have to redo maths. I fcuked around in highschool and my maths grade was pretty shitty

TheSlinger

This might be helpful for you - it is from unisa's admissions policy: https://www.unisa.ac.za/static/corporate_web/Content/Colleges/CGS/documents/AdmissionPolicy_23092011.pdf

B. ADMISSION TO STUDENTS IN TERMS OF A MATURE AGE EXEMPTION10 4. Admission to an undergraduate degree programme may be granted to prospective students who have reached the age of 23 years and hold a senior certificate without matriculation exemption in accordance with the rules prescribed by HESA. 5. Prospective students who have reached the age of 23 years, have passed Grade 10 or four ‘O’ levels and have at least three years of relevant work experience may be admitted into a diploma programme. 6. Prospective students who have reached the age of 45 years qualify for open admission or mature age exemption without any schooling qualification. The student must, however, still obtain a Certificate of Conditional Exemption from the Matriculation Board.

Chapter 3 - page4

SAguy

Expert Member
Depending on your current field you're working in and what you want to study, a lot of universities accept students based on work experience, prior learning and entrance exams.

I'm over 30 and doing my honours at UCT at the moment, without ever having an undergrad degree.

GlassMirror

Expert Member
Depending on your current field you're working in and what you want to study, a lot of universities accept students based on work experience, prior learning and entrance exams.

I'm over 30 and doing my honours at UCT at the moment, without ever having an undergrad degree.
That's the same as what a guy in my sister's honours program is doing as well. He's in his mid 30's and all of them look up to him for doing what he's doing plus he can offer them some good real world advice

SAguy

Expert Member
That's the same as what a guy in my sister's honours program is doing as well. He's in his mid 30's and all of them look up to him for doing what he's doing plus he can offer them some good real world advice
I'm doing part time honours fortunately, so there are a few older folk - but the majority are young. You can see the impact of 10 years of work experience though. Most of the older people are doing well and most of the younger people are struggling.

It's much easier to study when you have something to relate it to.

GlassMirror

Expert Member
I'm doing part time honours fortunately, so there are a few older folk - but the majority are young. You can see the impact of 10 years of work experience though. Most of the older people are doing well and most of the younger people are struggling.

It's much easier to study when you have something to relate it to.
That's really true, she's always telling me how it easy it is for him to complete certain modules, especially those with a more corporate focus. After seeing everyone else's replies on here I think I might decide to do my honours as well

SAguy

Expert Member
That's really true, she's always telling me how it easy it is for him to complete certain modules, especially those with a more corporate focus. After seeing everyone else's replies on here I think I might decide to do my honours as well
In my case it's definitely worth it - since I don't have an undergrad.
But gosh - it's hell. People have dropped out left right and center. Extremely hard work, not particularly difficult, but it's a marathon - not a race.

I've become used to short IT certifications over the last few years. Study for 2 months, write certification, done.
Keeping up the pace for 10 months at a time - that's painful. I haven't had a braai since March. :crying:

GlassMirror

Expert Member
In my case it's definitely worth it - since I don't have an undergrad.
But gosh - it's hell. People have dropped out left right and center. Extremely hard work, not particularly difficult, but it's a marathon - not a race.

I've become used to short IT certifications over the last few years. Study for 2 months, write certification, done.
Keeping up the pace for 10 months at a time - that's painful. I haven't had a braai since March. :crying:
I'm also in the IT industry but I focus more on process management. So wondering if it'll be worth it for myself. Wow man but I take my hat off to anyone willing to study that long as I've also gotten used to the IT short courses. Keep it up man, you're nearly there and I'm rooting for you.
Eish I don't know if I can live without a braai for that long:oops:

gam3jaxx

I'm also in the IT industry but I focus more on process management. So wondering if it'll be worth it for myself. Wow man but I take my hat off to anyone willing to study that long as I've also gotten used to the IT short courses. Keep it up man, you're nearly there and I'm rooting for you.
Eish I don't know if I can live without a braai for that long:oops:
ITIL?

gam3jaxx

If you are in certain business and IT functions there are certain universities that recognizes your years of service as your bachelors degree based on your role type. If you have 15 years of development and systems design experience you surely don't have to go do a 3 years course that introduces you to system managent basics if you have done it at a global company. You then do a bridging degree that can qualify you into an honors or masters degree, some even allows you to teach as a lecturer.

vic777

Expert Member
If you are in certain business and IT functions there are certain universities that recognizes your years of service as your bachelors degree based on your role type. If you have 15 years of development and systems design experience you surely don't have to go do a 3 years course that introduces you to system managent basics if you have done it at a global company. You then do a bridging degree that can qualify you into an honors or masters degree, some even allows you to teach as a lecturer.
Which universities do this?

endlesslyonline

I have been a network admin for about 10 years now. I have done all your normal, A+ N+ L+ MCSE, ITIL, cobalt etc,
I started my Ndip in IT in 2005 at CUT but due to issues at CUT they stopped the programme and I was forced to stop a year and a half in.

This year I decided to go to unisa and finish (well start from scratch) my NDip:IT with them, but I was rejected because maths matric marks (They want a min of 60% on HG) and I was advised by Unisa, "maybe IT isn't for me":unsure:

I was prepared to do Maths, or a course that has maths, but they don't offer any.

gam3jaxx

I have been a network admin for about 10 years now. I have done all your normal, A+ N+ L+ MCSE, ITIL, cobalt etc,
I started my Ndip in IT in 2005 at CUT but due to issues at CUT they stopped the programme and I was forced to stop a year and a half in.

This year I decided to go to unisa and finish (well start from scratch) my NDip:IT with them, but I was rejected because maths matric marks (They want a min of 60% on HG) and I was advised by Unisa, "maybe IT isn't for me":unsure:

I was prepared to do Maths, or a course that has maths, but they don't offer any.
Go in bro IT Security mate they make more than graduates.

gam3jaxx

Yup its to do with ITIL but due to the job and work required I need to be very technically inclined as well since I work with many technical teams, stakeholders and 3rd parties.
If you look around on the web if you have your v3 expert you can do a year's course and get a masters degree in IT Service Management through some British University

Urist

Expert Member
Started studying 3 years ago at 35, my only regret is not doing it earlier.
Doing bsc at unisa, if you sucked at school they put you on an extended module, stretching the first year into 2. that, or they put you on mat0511, which is basically matric math... was much easier this time around.