Myrriad

Hi there

Has anyone studied through UNISA from abroad? I will soon be moving to Australia, and thinking of studying through UNISA whilst there. What's really off-putting is that UNISA charges a foreign levy of almost 100% on all modules!! How has your experience been in terms of receiving your study materials and exams, etc?

There isn't much posts/ student experiences online so any advice/suggestions will be appreciated!

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
I was busy with my degree when I moved to Aus so caught the tail end. I kept my registration for fully online subjects as SA (research) so I didn't have to pay the levy and wrote the other exams in Aus at one of the uni's. I've never really needed the stuff they courier so cannot comment on that either way.

Like everything, you should be fine if nothing goes wrong on their side. If something does go wrong you're screwed as it usually takes numerous trips to a campus and tracking down that one person in that one dingy office somewhere to help you.

Anyway, if you do move to Aus, the UNISA fees are a joke in comparison to the $50 000 you would have to pay here to study something.

Myrriad

I was busy with my degree when I moved to Aus so caught the tail end. I kept my registration for fully online subjects as SA (research) so I didn't have to pay the levy and wrote the other exams in Aus at one of the uni's. I've never really needed the stuff they courier so cannot comment on that either way.

Like everything, you should be fine if nothing goes wrong on their side. If something does go wrong you're screwed as it usually takes numerous trips to a campus and tracking down that one person in that one dingy office somewhere to help you.

Anyway, if you do move to Aus, the UNISA fees are a joke in comparison to the $50 000 you would have to pay here to study something.
Thanks for your response. You're lucky you caught the tail end of your degree. With a foreign levy fee of R2500 per module x 5 modules per semester, I might as well put that money towards a plane ticket and write here as I'll get to visit family as well.

I've been leaning towards doing a teaching degree, so I'm also trying to find out how well UNISA degrees are accepted at Australian schools.

Lol, the dingy office is so true! I visited the Durban campus last week, and it was exactly as you said - I had to literally go from office to office, to find someone who could help.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Thanks for your response. You're lucky you caught the tail end of your degree. With a foreign levy fee of R2500 per module x 5 modules per semester, I might as well put that money towards a plane ticket and write here as I'll get to visit family as well.

I've been leaning towards doing a teaching degree, so I'm also trying to find out how well UNISA degrees are accepted at Australian schools.

Lol, the dingy office is so true! I visited the Durban campus last week, and it was exactly as you said - I had to literally go from office to office, to find someone who could help.
You will just need to check how many points you get for having the qualification with no experience.

Other than that you should have no issues with the UNISA degree being accepted, just make sure you have the right amount of teaching days on your official record. To be able to transfer your qualification and register as a teacher you need 50 (I think) official teaching days during your qualification. Double check this and make sure you do the right amount of days and that they are signed off and recorded. Different universities have different requirements. I know some teachers who studied through Wits were only required to do 45 days where the requirement for Aus was 50 and hence they could not becomes teachers in Aus and had to study here again.