Subsistence farmers under siege from land occupation

schumi

Honorary Master
Some small scale farmers in Dunoon near Milnerton, Cape Town, say they are in distress after land occupiers erected shacks amidst their crops this past month.

In early 2000, a group calling themselves Masibambane small scale farmers occupied vacant municipal land near the N7 and Potsdam Road. They grow maize, pumpkins, butternuts, spinach, cabbages, onions and tomatoes and they rear pigs, goats and chickens for subsistence, then sell the surplus at low prices to local residents.

During Level 1 Covid-19 lockdown, the Western Cape agriculture department offered them a R50,000 relief package to buy livestock feed.

For years Petros Qwane has been supporting his five children and wife with his small farm. But land occupiers have moved in, erecting shacks in some places where the farmers say they have just sown seed. Qwane says the land occupiers had been barging through the farmers’ crops to mark out plots for building more shacks.

“I started farming in 2010. We were supplying food to the whole of Dunoon. A bunch of spinach we sell for R8. Maize cobs we sell for R8 – when they [local buyers] boil it, they would sell to the public at R15 each … With money generated from farm produce we buy school uniforms, stationery and pay scholar transport,” said Qwane.

Max Lugwana accuses the new land occupiers of stealing his crops, livestock and kraal materials, and of planning to occupy his kraal area.

More at : https://groundup.org.za/article/subsistence-farmers-under-siege-land-occupation/

rietrot

Honorary Master
The fact that this is still municipal land complicates the matter. Why was the land never privatised? Now land occupiers are complaining about other land occupiers and whether food or housing is a more legitimate use of occupied land, which is a silly situation to be in.

All thanks to the incompetent local government.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Well here's your FIRST F****** PROBLEM you utter morons:

For years Petros Qwane has been supporting his five children and wife with his small farm.

Stop having kids if you have no means to support them FFS!

I don't care if it's your GodGiven right - you are doing those kids a HUGE injustice due to your own ridiculous need to copulate without protection!

VooDooC

Expert Member
I can see this happening more and more especially when they start to give land to certain individuals, eventually others will rock up and squat on the land making it impossible to do any actual farming.

Varktjop

Expert Member
Well here's your FIRST F****** PROBLEM you utter morons:

Stop having kids if you have no means to support them FFS!

I don't care if it's your GodGiven right - you are doing those kids a HUGE injustice due to your own ridiculous need to copulate without protection!
Unfortunately, they are following cANCer's example. Thinking about number one

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Everytime I drove past I was suprised they hadn't taken over that land yet... guess the time has come.

On the otherside of the river, where many more shacks have shot up, they've now put up a sign "Welcome to Riverside".

I'm not 100% sure how those developers plan on selling the directly adjacent land - no way in hell I'd buy a flat/townhouse if the otherside of the wall is a squatter camp.

The developers put up a wall/fence quite fast - but it's probably only a matter of time until the material is "re-possessed".

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
So they stole the land, and then the municipality gave them R50k during lockdown.
Why do I work for a living?

Currantly

Expert Member
If they're farming productively then rent them the land, or nearby land, at a nominal rate. At the same time remove the land invaders.

Reactions: STS

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Gotta feel a little sorry for them. At least they are trying to feed themselves and make a living. Many people just occupy land and then resort to crime in the neighbourhood they occupied. Guys that are building over their crops are real a-holes.

Currantly

Expert Member

xrapidx

Honorary Master
That area lost my sympathy ages ago - just this past Sunday my vehicle narrowly missed being stoned.