Sudden realization: Blu-Ray players are not being sold in South Africa anymore

BamboozledAttorney

Has anyone else noticed that Blu-ray players are not being sold from big retailers any more?

Not astounding that Digital Downloads and Online Streaming on Demand has become the preferred choice, but it just took me by surprise when I actually realized that retailers here don't sell them at all any more.

I do not know if there was an announcement over the last few years, but I did not notice anything until I wondered what the going price is for the cheapest Blu-ray player for sale.

Lupus

Honorary Master
They've not been sold for a good few years sadly, if you can find them they will be pricey.
Though you can find one at Checkers. Seen it physically in store. I've still got my old Samsung from years ago.

wbot

Executive Member
Yes I've noticed it's hard to find. Had to buy a used one here on mybb not too long ago.

Before that found a couple of sites selling new ones for like R2000-R4000 or more.

Lupus

Honorary Master

Seems this one reason, seems people prefer streaming, even though I've got blu rays, also a lot of people still buy DVDs, go to your Spar you'll see a DVD selection. You can only get blu rays online as most of our brick and mortar shops that sold media are closed :(.
I used to love going to the big look and listens near me, but they all started closing down.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Is it like a stingray? What size fish tank do one need?

Lol, haven't used a CD, DVD or Sony Disc in about 10 years.
You're one of the reasons it's sadly dying, the biggest problem is not all TV series are on streaming services, not all movies as well.

wbot

Executive Member
I've also noticed it's getting harder to buy blu ray movies online locally. Local online shops are now mostly selling expensive imported blu-rays. Like Raru. Most of their blu-rays are now region 1.

Takealot blu rays have gotten pricey and it looks like Loot doesn't even do blu rays anymore.

Not cool for collectors like myself.

chrisc

Honorary Master
Physical media has all but died

The recent resurgence of "vinyl" aka LP records is a flash in the pan and sales of new LP records account for less than 2% of music sales

Its all streaming today. What is the point of owning a CD, Blu-Ray disc if you can access it any time on line?

The same with books and e-readers. Granted, there may be more satisfaction from turning the pages in a book instead of clicking the "next page" button on an e-reader, but its a lot more practical

Books and printed media are right at the top of the inflation table and have next to no resale value

In the early 20th Century, people bemoaned the disappearance of horse-drawn transport, until cars became the norm

TedLasso

Expert Member
The only issue I have is that having a large collection of DVDs and BluRays - most which I never use admittedly - is that I can't watch them anymore.

My Blu-ray player may not last long and my personal preference is definitely streaming now. The issue is that most of those movies which I own cannot be found on a single platform and why should I pay for more subscriptions to watch what I own.

It's like there needs to be a solution for us to be able to watch them when we want (since we did buy the original media) and I don't know how this can be achieved but feels like a solution is waiting to be built.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Sign of the times. I keep looking at my CD/DVD collection which has been gathering dust for years now. Taking up space but feel bad selling it all as it's pretty much worthless now. Must have spend thousands over the years.

rietrot

Honorary Master

Many people still don't have fibre or uncapped data. So there is still a market for new physical products, or there should be?

There is a big second hand market for games especially.

Anyway if you need a dvd player just get a playstation. Even an old ps2 is blueray? The ps3 definitely is.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Physical media has all but died

The recent resurgence of "vinyl" aka LP records is a flash in the pan and sales of new LP records account for less than 2% of music sales

I think the market for old tech is more than big enough to justify "hobby shops" selling it, especially an online one.

I geuss it's only a matter of if the manufacturers/record labels still want to produce stuff like vinyl records and the neccessary equipment. Obviously it would not make tons of money, but there is an argument in catering for hobbyists. I blame bad copyright laws, which prevents smaller companies from producing these things that the big ones don't find worth there time.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Many people still don't have fibre or uncapped data. So there is still a market for new physical products, or there should be?

There is a big second hand market for games especially.

Anyway if you need a dvd player just get a playstation. Even an old ps2 is blueray? The ps3 definitely is.
I went to friends with lots of cap and Internet and they gave stuff on flash drives. Those tiny devices you can just stick into a PC and put stuff on. Also very compatible. People should try it. :laugh:

rietrot

Honorary Master
I went to friends with lots of cap and Internet and they gave stuff on flash drives. Those tiny devices you can just stick into a PC and put stuff on. Also very compatible. People should try it.
You can't buy a movie on a flash drive like you would buy a dvd.

I have plenty of stuff on external harddrives, but that's all pirated.

RedViking

Nord of the South
You can't buy a movie on a flash drive like you would buy a dvd.

I have plenty of stuff on external harddrives, but that's all pirated.
Then buy it online or just keep the discs in your attic. But use the digital copies you get from friends. If I had a player I would just use it to convert the discs to digital anyways.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master

My daughter had a concert earlier this year and they sent us the recording on a DVD. Let's just say we have not watched one second of it yet because neither mine nor my wife's laptops have any sort of optical drive in it :p

chrisc

Honorary Master
I copied all my CDs onto a hard disk in FLAC format years ago. All the CDs are gone, as is the Blu-Ray player. I have a blu-ray writer in my PC and a couple of boxes of blank DVDs and blu-ray disks sitting in a drawer, unused for several years

dbPoweramp does an excellent job of converting CD audio and copies up to 7x speeds. Performs error-correction, looks up album artwork

I use a Lindemann Bridge to play the music which is stored on a NAS and backed up frequently

Now I can buy (download) DSD and other hi-res audio from Channel Classics and many other on-line vendors (Naxos is one)