Suggested Product - to remind you that your garage door is left open

missionimpossible

Quite an odd request, but i'm sure it's happended to a few of us whereby we have unintentionally left our garage door open (of our house) and drove away and only realised that later.

Are there any suggested products that cater for this requirement? I thought my alarm system could do this but was told this is not possible.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
You could probably configure a lux sensor pointed at the opening on an Arduino to push a notification to something to let you know. Or otherwise a limit switch that connects in the same way to check if the door is closed or open.

If it's an electronic garage door, some of them can be interfaced with as well via IO pins.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
If you are connecting your alarm or other sensors you can use something like a door/reed switch to read the status

Chevauxza

Mine is connected to Home Assistant using a Sonoff Zigbee switch and a Zigbee Door Sensor. I get a notification from the Home Assistant app when the door is left open longer than a timeout.

krieg

Expert Member
Quite an odd request, but i'm sure it's happended to a few of us whereby we have unintentionally left our garage door open (of our house) and drove away and only realised that later.

Are there any suggested products that cater for this requirement? I thought my alarm system could do this but was told this is not possible.

Some options if you want to go with out of the box solutions.

Opener 1

Opener 2

Opener 3

One can and you should absolutely put your garage door on your alarm system. I would suggest the industrial magnetic switches on your door.

Neuk_

Executive Member
We have our garage door connected to our alarm using an outdoor magnetic switch so if we try arm the alarm and the door is open we will get an error. I have also put a Sonoff WiFi IP PT camera in our garage so we can check using the camera as well if we really need to.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
@Thor will have a solution that will send you an sms as soon as you are >500m from your open garage door :thumbsup:

Kingskid

Similar solution to that already mentioned, Used a magnetic sensor connected to a NodeMCU in the garage, talking back to Home Assistant(HA), in HA used an automation to send a telegram message if the door opens or closes(once you drive away so you know you did not leave it open) and then once the state goes to open for longer than 3 minutes it sends a telegram.

Thor

Honorary Master
Depending on the unit you could add a sonoff relay in there with the sonoff door sensor, if you drive off you can close it via the app (there will be fat notification on your phone that the door sensor is in the open position.)

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
How does one drive away without noticing the door is open in the first place?

PhireSide

Honorary Master
How does one drive away without noticing the door is open in the first place?
What has happened to me before is that I waited for the door to close, drove off and probably ten or so seconds later it opened by itself again according to the neighbour. We only saw this when we returned a couple of hours later - nothing went missing though.

Nowadays we wait for about 15 seconds or so before driving off, just in case it tries it's tricks again.

Dolby

Honorary Master
A few guys at the office have used Shelly devices on their garages

grok

Honorary Master
Not so hard to wait for it to close, I used to drive off then wonder if I closed the door. Even came back around the block when I realized I doubt remembering whether I closed it.
Once it was closing so I departed but a guide wheel popped out, door got stuck against the jam & the motor reversed, leaving the door wide open. Luckily neigbour called.

Now I wait till it closes, say something in my mind like 'this bar is now closed', 'toodeloopdedoo' or 'make it so' before I scoot off at mach 2.0..
When you make a point of acknowledging the closure you ensure you don't forget whether you closed it or not.

Same with my car keys, used to endlessly search for them, now I put it in 1 of 3 possible places (depending where I take off my pants lol).. never have to search for keys again.

ebendl

Expert Member
1607521687650.png

My setup in Home Assistant.
- Garage is done using an Aqara/Xiaomi magnetic door sensor
- Sliding gates (I have two) - one is done with the same Aqara/Xiaomi sensor, but hacked to support a higher-gap external reed switch. The other one uses the same external reed switch, but linked to a Sonoff Basic which also turns the external gate light on/off and runs Tasmota.

The Aqara stuff is probably the closest you can get to "off-the-shelf".

Primary reason I needed this: I tend to press the remote button when the keys are in my pocket. And then the dogs run out and disappears and my wife gets angry.

So now it warns me if these are open for longer than 5 minutes.

VanillaBox

Expert Member

Good Morning,

I‘m using a SMS controller to send me a SMS when the door is in an open state for 3 minutes (should give me enough time to get in and out), and it also has the option that I send SMS or command to close the door.
It does send SMS for Close state as well.

I also monitor Main Power (send me SMS when power goes on or off.

R1200 +/-