Suggestions? Noisy generator at neighbors

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
This sounds like a good plan, at least he's polite and gives you a warning. Nobody gets upset about occasional disruptive work, it's regular daily persistent noise that gets under your skin, like OP's neighbour with the generator and mine with his dirty great big loud cutting machine.

When we were doing building alterations I messaged all the neighbours apologizing for the noise and telling them when the build would be complete.
i am betting even then it wasn't at ungodly hours and didnt make more noise that was needed

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Exactly, we all have to live.

General family noises are fine and, like you with your neighbour, give and take. Like I say it's ongoing persistent noise that irritates. Noise that should be in an industrial area not residential.

@Steamy Tom says it perfectly.
Yeah, and honestly.. I live across the valley from a light industrial area, and other than the occasional forklift and truck beeping noise they're mostly quiet...

Yes I had to get Metro and lawyers involved because the one company just couldn't give two tosses that their alarm would go off on a Saturday morning every 20 minutes for the whole weekend.... but once the cops arrived on a weekday and threatened them with a lekker large fine and they got a lawyers letter, it got fixed very quickly.

Marsie27

Back to the generator, FYI: in the Home section of last weekend's Weekend Argus in the feedback section was this, from someone called Bob:
"To suppress 90% of generator noise, extend and run the exhaust pipe underground for several metres in old piping and terminate it in a gutter downpipe using a T-joint coupling. The fumes will disperse into the air at gutter height. Do not terminate it into wastewater or sewer pipes. There is a hefty council fine for this and you might end up gassing your neighbours." I guess any moles in the area will push off elsewhere.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Back to the generator, FYI: in the Home section of last weekend's Weekend Argus in the feedback section was this, from someone called Bob:
"To suppress 90% of generator noise, extend and run the exhaust pipe underground for several metres in old piping and terminate it in a gutter downpipe using a T-joint coupling. The fumes will disperse into the air at gutter height. Do not terminate it into wastewater or sewer pipes. There is a hefty council fine for this and you might end up gassing your neighbours." I guess any moles in the area will push off elsewhere.
It does not sound too healthy for the generator, I think there is a method to why the exhaust is designed the way it is, it could be different for industrial type generator like the truck engines they use in those generators, but for your normal generator, extending the exhaust for meters could have undesirable consequences.