Suggestions: Reliable mid-range ADSL Dual-band Router + WIFI AP?

bustaboom

Hi guys
Been a previous member for many years but lost my old details.

I'm looking to purchase an ADSL Router + WIFI AP on behalf of my mother.

I purchased a "ASUS RT-AC1200G+ AC1200 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Fibre-Ready Router" for R1099 from Takealot, set it up, updated to latest firmware, but still having issues with the 5Ghz WIFI disappearing constantly, the 2.4GHz seems to work fine. I've noticed other reports online of this, so I'm not wasting my time with this back and forth, need something that just works. Going to return it to Takealot.

Looking for a highly reliable ADSL/Fibre ready modem/router (OR ONLY a router if need be, as I have a TP-Link ADSL modem to bridge with), as well as a WIFI AP Extender that will work nicely with the router. The multiple functions and ease-of-setup with the ASUS was great, looking for similar, I know a bit but I'm no network engineer so Mikrotik is out of the question.

Budget is around R1000 for the router and R700 for the AP, but will spend a bit more or less depending.

Thanks VERY MUCH :giggle:, appreciate any help as you probably know a lot more about the available hardware than me.

Cheers :p:p

Last edited:

bustaboom

Thanks guys for the suggestions so far. I'll have a look at reviews of it.
Also need a WIFI AP, and if possible, to connect it so that the SSID's stay the same, and the user just roams between the zones, without disconnecting and connecting to the main router's SSID.

Anyone else have any other suggestions too?