The article (courtesy of Sunday Times):
Users in web war with Sentech
Broadband Internet
By Gill Moodie
The state-owned signal distribution and communications company Sentech and its customers have gone to war over its new broadband Internet service.
The battle has seen the setting up of rogue web sites denouncing Sentech, threats of lawsuits and the intervention of bodies such as the Freedom of Expression Institute and the Advertising Standards Authority.
It began when disgruntled Sentech customer Roelf Diedericks set up web sites called www. sentechsucks.co.za and www. mywirelesssucks.co.za for customers to air their complaints about the broadband service, MyWireless.
MyWireless, which uses third-generation cellular technology to transmit data to portable modems, was launched in January and is available in Gauteng, Durban and parts of Cape Town.
"I thought people should know that the product does not deliver as advertised," said Diedericks, a Johannesburg-based IT professional. "I'm just a guy who bought the service and after two months it broke down."
But Diedericks's complaints on the Web - that the service was slower than the average dial-up connection and that there were frequent disconnections - drew a lawyer's letter from Sentech, demanding that he hand over the sites and claiming they constituted trademark infringement.
Sentech said this week that it welcomed constructive criticism through appropriate channels and was creating a forum on its website for customers' comments. It said it had only resorted to threats of legal action as a last resort.
Last month, Diedericks handed over the domain names - which now direct web users to Sentech's home page - but Shaun Dewberry, who runs the local website of the international hacker group 2600, stepped in on Diedericks's side.
Diedericks is now vowing to relaunch his website and is working with the Freedom of Expression Institute to avoid accusations of trademark violation, while Dewberry has put up his own site - www.****sentech.co.za - as has another Sentech customer at www.sentechhatesfreespeech. org.za.
Yet another customer, Tony da Silva, has complained to the Advertising Standards Authority, claiming that MyWireless's advertising promises do not match up to reality.
Sentech has hit back with threats of a lawsuit against Dewberry, who told the company this week that he would not back down and that there was no trademark infringement because he was not making money from his site.
"Roelf got bullied the first time round, but there is no basis for their claim of trademark violation," said Dewberry, who faced down legal threats in 2002 from the National Lottery operator, Uthingo, for his website's criticism of the lottery.