Super memory since near death.

marco

Expert Member
My wife had a cardiac arrest during her cancer treatment and was in a coma for 3 weeks. She developed acute sepsis and pneumonia with a survival chance of 2%.
She not overcame this but is a cancer survivor. No indication of any cancer after only completing 70% of the treatment.

What astounds me is her memory. She can now recall events in her life plus dates from 40 years ago. She tells me dates of when we first met and dates from all events in our past. Even stuff when she was a toddler with dates.

She has never been interested in British history but now gets 100% for all online tests where I get 5%. This is all new to me but I find it strange,

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This is a philosophical debate how? :unsure:

Personally, I'd rather forgo the heart attack and ensuing coma and stick with my current recall.

Cius

Expert Member
Have heard of this in rare cases. There was a movie a while back called Phenomenon that had a guy who developed mental super powers due to a tumor in the brain.

On a serious note though glad she pulled through! I would also consider a head scan to confirm no tumors or malignant masses perhaps. As useful as eidetic memory is best be sure it is not being caused by anything dangerous in the brain.

Jings

Honorary Master
Glad your wife pulled through.

Posted this recently in LPW. Very intriguing short piece on women with photographic memories like your wife. Wondering if there were something in their lives that triggered the super memory, or something to do with the pituarity gland.

What is interesting is that the brain kept all those memories. It never lost them. It's almost like the brain defragged itself and all old memories was restored and became easy to access again. Interesting topic.
After nearly dying myself, I found my brain appeared to have been reformatted.
Nothing like an eidetic memory (although the OP hasn't fully described his wife's condition and it doesn't seem eidetic) just a different way of thinking which resulted in different ways of doing things.
I lost some things ( for example, my balance :rolleyes:) and gained some things, for example better clarity of thought, a deeper sense of the ridiculous, and more of a tendency to see the mystic side of things.
I also gained a very annoying OC tendency, which I've been working on destroying.

Shaun108

Executive Member
After nearly dying myself, I found my brain appeared to have been reformatted.
Nothing like an eidetic memory (although the OP hasn't fully described his wife's condition and it doesn't seem eidetic) just a different way of thinking which resulted in different ways of doing things.
I lost some things ( for example, my balance :rolleyes:) and gained some things, for example better clarity of thought, a deeper sense of the ridiculous, and more of a tendency to see the mystic side of things.
I also gained a very annoying OC tendency, which I've been working on destroying.

How do you feel after looking at this cake?

Omg-my-OCD-is-tingling.jpg Omg-my-OCD-is-tingling.jpg

Prawnapple

Dude, get your wife onto Carte Blanch or some magazine / show. This is pretty epic!

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

marco

Expert Member
Dude, get your wife onto Carte Blanch or some magazine / show. This is pretty epic!

Edit: Spelling
We don't live in SA and my wife has no wish to exploit her ability and is quite happy telling the kids what they did and when they did it. This has become somewhat amusing to us.
How she knows about British history is baffling me and our kids plus their UK partners. She has never been even vaguely interested in the royal family.