Supersonic Air Fibre vs Rain

Hummercellc

Expert Member
I would like to see how this plays out.

Open bands are heavily utilised, especially in Urban areas, interference is definitely going to be an issue.

At 5Ghz non line of sight is also a very big issue, trees! as the general EIRP will limit this.

Added to the fact, MTNs backhaul in rural areas on Microwave links are already struggling to cope with LTE Carrier Aggregation being rolled out.

I made use of a MTN Licensed Microwave link last year, they simply couldn't supply me with more than 100mbps due to congested backhaul in our area.

Forked out a few thousand K to have Openserve run a dedicated fiber 40km for me, as MTN nor Vodacom are coping in our area on Microwave Backhauls.

Joseph matane

So is not a lie 5G is FTTH alternative based on latency comparison, I wish Supersonic can aggressively roll out Air Fibre least "2000 sites" within 24 months. I believe this is a game changer especially for secondary town's which don't have FTTH coverage, maybe Vodacom will try Air Fibre too soon and this will fast track roll out plans even though I suspect Vodacom will be expensive:
5/2 for R499 PM
10/5 for R699 PM
20/10 for R899 PM
50/20 for R999 PM
100/40 for R1200 PM

Joseph matane

I would like to see how this plays out.

Open bands are heavily utilised, especially in Urban areas, interference is definitely going to be an issue.

At 5Ghz non line of sight is also a very big issue, trees! as the general EIRP will limit this.

Added to the fact, MTNs backhaul in rural areas on Microwave links are already struggling to cope with LTE Carrier Aggregation being rolled out.

I made use of a MTN Licensed Microwave link last year, they simply couldn't supply me with more than 100mbps due to congested backhaul in our area.

Forked out a few thousand K to have Openserve run a dedicated fiber 40km for me, as MTN nor Vodacom are coping in our area on Microwave Backhauls.
I hear you but on my side I noticed that MTN and Vodacom were busy rolling out Fibre backhaul across the area and Openserve too has Fibre infrastructure in remote rural areas. This indicate that MTN and Vodacom is really trying to get Fibre To The Base Station where is possible

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
The Air Fibre is needed in areas that don't have access to Fibre, even in metro areas. I really hope they roll it out aggressively.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Wait both YouTube and Netflix can stream 4K with a 20mb connection.

IceQB

Expert Member
WISP's been using the 5Ghz frequency for years & it is congested.
Can't understand how they will be using equipment that have "advanced noise cancelling".
Wouldn't the current WISP's have tried or jumped on that bandwagon already?
True, you see many new trenches going out to cell towers. But I doubt it will help in areas where WISP's have used up most of that unlicensed spectrum.
Truly hope it works out & doesn't end up like rain fizzled to a drizzle.
We need affordable reliable broadband.

vdpollm

My concern is that the equipment will be installed on a local MTN tower. What happens during load shedding? In my area during load shedding the signal strength drops and soon thereafter data is horrendous. I’m told this is due to batteries being stolen?
So would it be safe to assume that the same would occur with this solution, seeing as they are using the same MTN Infrastucture?
While I like the idea, the current situation of load shedding and the treasonous theft of the batteries means that I will have to stick with fiber for now.
sigh

vdpollm

WISP's been using the 5Ghz frequency for years & it is congested.
Can't understand how they will be using equipment that have "advanced noise cancelling".
Wouldn't the current WISP's have tried or jumped on that bandwagon already?
True, you see many new trenches going out to cell towers. But I doubt it will help in areas where WISP's have used up most of that unlicensed spectrum.
Truly hope it works out & doesn't end up like rain fizzled to a drizzle.
We need affordable reliable broadband.
The underlying technology they are using is a new technology from Tarana Wireless. (as per Supersonic’s website) The marketing on Tarana’s website is interesting. Will be intrigued to see it in action in heavily congested areas.

IceQB

Expert Member
The underlying technology they are using is a new technology from Tarana Wireless. (as per Supersonic’s website) The marketing on Tarana’s website is interesting. Will be intrigued to see it in action in heavily congested areas.
That's just the thing, if it's sounds as good as they make it out to be on the website why hasn't any of the WISP's tried them out?
I mean it would be a game changer.
I have never heard of Tarana before this.

Mekon

Expert Member
Rain’s 4G and 5G packages are called “best-effort” services,

Yeah if only I could watch a 5 minute YouTube video in 5 minutes and not 23 minutes. If only I could get above 803kb download speed

IceQB

Expert Member
Rain’s 4G and 5G packages are called “best-effort” services,

Yeah if only I could watch a 5 minute YouTube video in 5 minutes and not 23 minutes. If only I could get above 803kb download speed
Don't know why people still go for rain if a simple web search will reveal a myriad of complaints.
Sure it works well in some areas & horrendous in others.
Time will tell whether MTN will follow suit.

Mekon

Expert Member
Don't know why people still go for rain if a simple web search will reveal a myriad of complaints.
Sure it works well in some areas & horrendous in others.
Time will tell whether MTN will follow suit.
We had Telskum |ADSL which was also crap most of the time. After a billing dispute and the pay R8000 now and well sort out the problem over the next few months attitude plus the hard lockdown about to start, my daughter going to be working from home as well got Rain,her boss sponsored the LTE router. Rain is a mixed bag. Sometimes it is ok, most of the time it is crap. But we are just hanging on until fibre is available in our area. They are busy putting up poles and running fibre lines at the moment so in the next few weeks we can tell Rain to shove their crap and crap service up their collective a$ses

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
My concern is that the equipment will be installed on a local MTN tower. What happens during load shedding? In my area during load shedding the signal strength drops and soon thereafter data is horrendous. I’m told this is due to batteries being stolen?
So would it be safe to assume that the same would occur with this solution, seeing as they are using the same MTN Infrastucture?
While I like the idea, the current situation of load shedding and the treasonous theft of the batteries means that I will have to stick with fiber for now.
sigh
Most areas has backup power on tower unless they have been stolen. My tower runs at full speed during loadshedding

eddief1

Expert Member
Gonna be interesting how this plays out....A commercial offering, from a big player on the ISM band which has low EIRP limits and on the same frequencies as all WISP's and Indoor wifi.

What could possible go wrong lol

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Really hate the air fiber marketing, it's not fiber, it's just wireless coms.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
Really hate the air fiber marketing, it's not fiber, it's just wireless coms.
It's not normal wireless so they need to get the attention it needs. Advertising it as normal wireless will not get it the attention it deserves as a fibre alternative.

IceQB

Expert Member
It will either work
Or bugger up everyone on 5ghz
And fail miserably