Supersonic seems kinda dodgy?

impulse0157

SO i saw Supersonic was launching LTE, R799 for 300gb data. i thought its a good deal since Cell C was pulling the plug next month.
i got in touch with their sales team and asked about their network speeds and gave them my physical address,i also already have one of their recommended routers.

The sales guy starts yupping some kak that even though i have their recommended router i should still purchase one from them to guarantee good speed, hmmm makes no sense but anyway so i asked for some network test results for my area or if they can provide me with a 3 day trial sim because their hello peter reviews are not looking good.He said they will not provide me with any network speed tests or results until i purchase a sim and router from them.

I then asked what time is their night time data...its Midnight till 5am.so basically 150gb of the 300gb will be useless too me. seems Hellkom is my only option now sigh

ReeceDBN031

Night data is the biggest waste of time on earth.. allllmoost worse than tax on pentions.

i recon the first provider to offer JUST anytime data will win BIG time!

edit: obviously an attractive deal i mean with decent amount of data

DiabloDane

SO i saw Supersonic was launching LTE, R799 for 300gb data. i thought its a good deal since Cell C was pulling the plug next month.
i got in touch with their sales team and asked about their network speeds and gave them my physical address,i also already have one of their recommended routers.

The sales guy starts yupping some kak that even though i have their recommended router i should still purchase one from them to guarantee good speed, hmmm makes no sense but anyway so i asked for some network test results for my area or if they can provide me with a 3 day trial sim because their hello peter reviews are not looking good.He said they will not provide me with any network speed tests or results until i purchase a sim and router from them.

I then asked what time is their night time data...its Midnight till 5am.so basically 150gb of the 300gb will be useless too me. seems Hellkom is my only option now sigh
Telkom R899 LTE
150gigs @ 10mb/s
50gigs @ 4mb/s
rest of the month 2mb/s

its Telkom but its not that bad for a family

ReeceDBN031

Even that seems rather expensive to me...

i mean i currently have the 40 anytime and 20night for R359.00 with a router.. i mean thats not too bad..

Even if they could offer 100gigs for like R399? and 50 for router..

cavedog

Honorary Master
I don't quite follow how Supersonic is dodgy.

Supersonic is Smartvillage which is MTN. In fact the are right next to each other in Roodepoort. You can walk between MTN head office and Supersonic without even breaking a sweat.

Since Supersonic is MTN this means it's LTE and LTE-A on the MTN network. Router with Band 1, Band 3 and Band 8 will work on the simcard.

Any router with B1+B3+B8 or B1+B3 carrier aggregation will be LTE-A.

Supersonic was probably trying to upsell you.

As for the night data. It's nice to do downloads between those times. A scheduler is included in most p2p software and you can schedule DSTV explorer downloads between those times.

ReeceDBN031

A speed limit of 10Mbit on LTE is just unacceptable.
to be fair i havent really had issues with my telkom up until this weekend and continuing now..
i dont understand whats going on but its frustrating.. cant even watch youtube at 240p:(

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Could anyone explain how the following, as advertised by Supersonic, works:

Benefits of LTE
  1. LTE is truly wireless. You don't need a Fibre cable run to your house, and you don't even need copper tele-phone cables installed in your home. As long as you're within range of an LTE-enabled cellphone tower, you can get connected. This makes LTE the perfect solution for places that don't have access to traditional phone lines. LTE is often used in 'out of the way' locations like farms and game reserves.
  2. Your LTE Router can be moved around, offering you flexibility. You can pick up your modem and take it with you. If you're renting, or planning on moving soon, LTE is the perfect solution because you can just pick it up and take it to your new home.
Now - the Supersonic F-LTE page includes a link to the MTN Made For Home T&C's. This specific clause in the T&C's is what bothers me a lot:

MTN Static IP VAS Service
5 Terms and Conditions:
5.4 The Offer will be locked to a fixed location / address and device (router).
I have no problems with the term FIXED-LTE but this seems a bit contradictory to what Supersonic is advertising?

With Cell-C Fixed LTE on the ropes, I have to make a switch. Telkom can suck it and Rain doesn't really have any coverage where I stay.

Stuck with Vodacom/MTN

Any advice?

leroygamer

I see that Supersonic is only in Centre Stellenbosch, no coverage for outlying suburbs. Also losing my Cell C fixed LTE which worked so good for me.