Supersonic to launch Unlimited Air Fibre

Nephew_

"air-fibre" I wish they won't call it that. It is either fibre or wireless technology.

Kaysway

Here we are going to build another network where you need the community to sign up :( Rather just go and enable MTN base stations with this new technology and then let word of month / Marketing do the work bringing in the new clients.

Standard backwards thinking

Hackson

They could just install it in one 15KM radii area area and then give us user feedback after 3 months to actually get us interested. For now it seems like DSTv type Internet. I think WiRu tried something similar.

lucifir

Expert Member
so any idea of what the tech used here is exactly?
Would like to know how good it is for gaming compared to adsl/fibre

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Yeah be good for our area, octotel been planning fibre for 2 years.

We have mtn tower in area to serve the whole area, would be easy to deploy. Would make the local WISP irrelvant through.

lucifir

Expert Member
Thanks, but that does not answer my question as they do not state tech used and how they compare with existing tech like fibre/adsl/lte/etc. Its just marketing blurbs that does not say anything about the performance of the tech used

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Thanks, but that does not answer my question as they do not state tech used and how they compare with existing tech like fibre/adsl/lte/etc. Its just marketing blurbs that does not say anything about the performance of the tech used
I hear you. I would think it would have to be on par with fixed line or else it wouldn't bode well for the long term sustainability. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Dretastic06

Yeah be good for our area, octotel been planning fibre for 2 years.

We have mtn tower in area to serve the whole area, would be easy to deploy. Would make the local WISP irrelvant through.
glad WISP getting a run for their money, look at what i was paying 15Mbps at R999 Incl. Vat

Nod

Executive Member
From ICASA: https://www.icasa.org.za/uploads/files/Spectrum-Usage-Availabilty-Q1-2019.xlsx
Frequency BandAvailabilityFrequency Band SizeUserApplicationChannel Bandwidth applicable (duplex)Comment
60 GHz (V-Band)Yes1x 9 GHz block (57 - 66 GHz)NoneFixed: FDD/TDD & WiGigLicence-exempt under specific conditionsUnlicensed: Gov Gazette 40436, 22 November 2016
If this is the used frequency band, then this service would be closer to mmWave 5G.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
From ICASA: https://www.icasa.org.za/uploads/files/Spectrum-Usage-Availabilty-Q1-2019.xlsx
Frequency BandAvailabilityFrequency Band SizeUserApplicationChannel Bandwidth applicable (duplex)Comment
60 GHz (V-Band)Yes1x 9 GHz block (57 - 66 GHz)NoneFixed: FDD/TDD & WiGigLicence-exempt under specific conditionsUnlicensed: Gov Gazette 40436, 22 November 2016
If this is the used frequency band, then this service would be closer to mmWave 5G.
Isn't 60ghz the dreaded oxygen destroying frequency causing all the hype about 5G?
1612252656186.png

Nod

Executive Member
Isn't 60ghz the dreaded oxygen destroying frequency causing all the hype about 5G?
View attachment 1005042
Yeah, closer to microwave in how it acts.
5G in SA does not use this frequency at the moment, mostly because of the limited range.
If Supersonic is going to use it, then I would like to see how they will get 15km non-line-of-sight connectivity.

SupersonicSA

We are using the ISM 5.8 GHz (5.725Ghz-5.875Ghz), so not the 60Ghz range as above.