Supersonic to launch Unlimited Air Fibre

Goosfrabba

Expert Member
As one of Rain's battered clients experiencing their woeful service, I'm sceptical.

I'd love to check this out but have my doubts...

lucifir

Expert Member
is it legal for them to use the unlicensed spectrum like this?
Surely they should get spectrum allocated so as not to create interference?

HartsockZA

Expert Member
I bumped this up cause I too am really confused here

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
This was a consideration, but we have 17 000 base stations covering the country, and feel that letting the communities decide who needed it most was the most fair and transparent way of rolling this product out to market. We will not be overlapping existing Fibre areas, but focusing on Secondary towns, Peri Urban, Rural and Townships.
So basically I'm stuck with my shitty ISP because I live in a city neighbourhood where fibre is available, but just not in our complex because of a monopoly network that was installed...

Sigh...and I was so exited about it :(

The_MAC

Executive Member

It is unlicenced, if it is allocated then it is licenced

By virtue of being unlicenced, you can do whatever you want, providing your equipment is ICASA type approved i.e. Transmit Power. Frequency etc.

Last edited:

wingnut771

Honorary Master
It is unlicenced, if it is allocated then it is licenced

By virtue of being unlicenced, you can do whatever you want, providing your equipment is ICASA type approved i.e. Transmit Power. Frequency etc.
and you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for it to ICACA.

Last edited:

JustAsk

Expert Member
"air-fibre" I wish they won't call it that. It is either fibre or wireless technology.
Hmmm...it is fibre. That is where your uncapped, unshaped comes from. Fibre is the internet. Wimax tech with noise cancellation is the (wireless) connection to that fibre

JustAsk

Expert Member
Do this with your LTE.
Its not their tech. From what i can gather its a last mile 3rd party service , plugged into Supersonic fibre, owned, operated and maintained by the 3rd party.
Tarana sells it as an " infrastructure as a service" to Mtn, which pay them a monthly fee.

Swa

Honorary Master
So basically I'm stuck with my shitty ISP because I live in a city neighbourhood where fibre is available, but just not in our complex because of a monopoly network that was installed...

Sigh...and I was so exited about it :(
I can get this for R399 where Vumatel starts at over R600 only MTN won't provide this because there's already fibre. Dissatisfaction with what's available is the whole reason many of us are looking to Rain and this would have been a good alternative to their R469 uncapped if there's no restrictions. @SupersonicSA

Its not their tech. From what i can gather its a last mile 3rd party service , plugged into Supersonic fibre, owned, operated and maintained by the 3rd party.
Tarana sells it as an " infrastructure as a service" to Mtn, which pay them a monthly fee.
I get that, but I don't see why our providers are so hesitant to offer something similar to this on their own networks like they do in other countries.

Nephew_

Hmmm...it is fibre. That is where your uncapped, unshaped comes from. Fibre is the internet. Wimax tech with noise cancellation is the (wireless) connection to that fibre
We can spin it as we like, if the fibre optic is not coming right into my study, I am not considering it as "fibre", that is just me then.

Reactions: Swa

Gemsbok

Worst service from Supersonic and I havent even sign-up as a customer yet. I have tried numerous times just to get info. At last I made a comment an their FaceBook page. Guess what thet tell me: Fill in the "show interest form". I have done that a couple of times and that is me problem.
It sound like a great offer but it is hell to speak to someone. No good. Not a ISP I will trust...

Swa

Honorary Master
Worst service from Supersonic and I havent even sign-up as a customer yet. I have tried numerous times just to get info. At last I made a comment an their FaceBook page. Guess what thet tell me: Fill in the "show interest form". I have done that a couple of times and that is me problem.
It sound like a great offer but it is hell to speak to someone. No good. Not a ISP I will trust...
They won't contact you unless they provide the service in your area which may never happen depending on how many people sign up. If you have fibre available they won't.