Supersonic Unlimited Air Fibre hands-on tested

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Supersonic Unlimited Air Fibre tested — Impressive results

Early tests of Supersonic's Unlimited Air Fibre product have shown impressive speeds and latency, indicating the company might have strong grounds for its claims that it offers "fibre-like" connectivity.

Supersonic launched the new uncapped wireless broadband product in May but has encountered some problems in its rollout due to a shortage of antennas needed to connect customers.

Supersonic CEO Calvin Collett told MyBroadband the ISP was now in weekly communication with stakeholders to push client units through and is hoping to have some stock in the country by the end of July.

Despite the issues, Collett said the tech behind Unlimited Air Fibre — which was developed by US-based firm Tarana Wireless — has exceeded their expectations.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
This is about exactly what you would expect with a 5.8ghz ISM Wi-Fi connection.

let's see how it performs with once 50-100 people are connected to the highsite.

@Jan , I would like to suggest a 6-month follow-up

Hopefully this will help reduce fibre and highsite rental prices.

entrepr

Expert Member
This is about exactly what you would expect with a 5.8ghz ISM Wi-Fi connection.

let's see how it performs with once 50-100 people are connected to the highsite.

@Jan , I would like to suggest a 6-month follow-up

Hopefully this will help reduce fibre and highsite rental prices.
Totally agree. The only way to test is when the stated number of subs are hanging off the same bs

A_man

I can believe the numbers reported here.

I'm on a 50/20 package and have been getting 30-49 download and 15-19 upload.
My tower is further than the 3-4KM reviewed here though, maybe that would explain the difference.

Overall, I'm a very happy customer.

upup

Executive Member
So she moved from fiber to this link. I would say move to fiber, only if there is no fiber move to this link thing.

upup

Executive Member
I can believe the numbers reported here.

I'm on a 50/20 package and have been getting 30-49 download and 15-19 upload.
My tower is further than the 3-4KM reviewed here though, maybe that would explain the difference.

Overall, I'm a very happy customer.
The article said they open the taps to max for MyBB to test.

Swa

Honorary Master
Those download speeds aren't very impressive for a 100mbps connection. I get faster than that on Cell C. I can't see this performing well once 100 people in the neighbourhood are connected.

Johand

Expert Member
Wireless always seem like the bees knees during early launch. The proof is in the pudding when the network gets loaded with users. I would like to see a follow up when the user base is significantly higher.

Romito

Expert Member
The fact that they knew myBB was testing it, they might have made some optimal tweaks to sell the package. It's not bad for a new product, only time and uptake will paint a true enough picture of the product's capabilities. It is by far the cheapest wireless based product in the market at those speeds.

envo

Expert Member
As with ANY wireless technology, the real test is to see when their network has thousands/tens of thousands of users on it, if it degrades.

Literally every wireless technology I've ever seen and touted as "the best" by MyBB, eventually suffers because of popularity and then degrades to unusable and inconsistent speeds to the point where users complain and the company does nothing to resolve (other than give excuses) to the point where they lose the user-base and then continue to the "next best" wireless technology

So, again, 2 decades after I've been saying this every time and haven't been proven wrong yet..... prove me wrong

DXL

Expert Member
MTN has missed the Boat on Pricing here.

A fibre connection 30Mbps Down and 5 Mbps Up costs close to or less than R500.

If they came in at R399 and under then the take up would have been huge and the value would have been good as well.

Moby Grape

Honorary Master
I find this whole thing weird.
I can get MTN LTE in certain areas but not this. Why do they have to be sold as different products?
Why not just sell one product and call it wireless internet?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I thought you can't get this if you're already covered by fibre. Anyway, I'm sure the customer, Mmatankiso Botsane will be disappointed to know that Vumatel have dropped their prices finally, so her R907 20/20 vuma line is now a R897 50/50 line or a R697 20/20 line, so she's saving R98.

Kaysway

I thought you can't get this if you're already covered by fibre. Anyway, I'm sure the customer, Mmatankiso Botsane will be disappointed to know that Vumatel have dropped their prices finally, so her R907 20/20 vuma line is now a R897 50/50 line or a R697 20/20 line, so she's saving R98.

The way things are going In this country, if you have an opportunity to save R98 then go ahead.

J_S

The only problem is there is no clear Rollout plan for this and all you can do is show interest on their website.
I stay in Pietermaritzburg that in theory is their initial rollout plan, but there is no way to even try work out if there is coverage this side yet.

Would sign up straight away as Vuma is just to expensive.