SuperSport acquires rights for the next Olympics

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Forgive me if I'm ignorant here, but how is this news?

Is there anyone else they could give it to?

SABC is only 3 channels so I don't see how they could do it...

Kosmik

Honorary Master

Pity that a international event where South Africans are competing is not displayed properly on a local medium. Shocking actually. But then again, can't lose out that Johny Walker Blue.

TheChamp

Honorary Master

They've had exclusive rights to some sports before, where the only showed the minimum that they can and the rest could not be shown by anyone, our local PSL being one example.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Eh?

Isn' Supersport a local medium?

Should mean commonly accessible sorry. It's available only on high paid channels unless they make it available on their lower packages which I doubt.

Wall

Sports Addict
I've recently become ****ing pissed with SABC. they've stopped broadcasting international cricket ( Champions trophy). They've also stopped radio broadcasts of our international tours.

:mad:

psivius

I dont think that this is exclusive rights. They have acquired pay-tv media rights if I understand correctly. SABC will still broadcast their usual portion of the games but Supersport will be able to provide a lot more content over a number of dedicated channels. Nothing new but there a few more players in the market who would be now contending for the rights to broadcast the Olympic Games.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

While it is no surprise that they won it again, it IS news because of how they continue to use their monopoly position to virtually guarantee that they will always win the rights.
Smaller companies will never be able to grow bigger to compete with DSTV because they get "locked out" every time.

Let's say that there are five slots open for the rights bid to broadcast the Olympics in SA....
DSTV will come along and submit a bid in ALL five slots because they have the cash to do so.
Smaller companies can only afford to bid in one slot due to the expense.
So DSTV locks them out because they win all five bids.
Smaller companies are NEVER able to get a foot in.
This goes on year after year and DSTV keeps raising their premium bundle prices because nobody else can ever get the rights...

The sporting broadecasting companies are happy to do this because it means they get the maximum cash in all 5 slots.
If they restricted a company to just one slot, then they wouldn't get as high cash bids in the other slots - less cash income.
They love the monopolies.

Last edited:

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
While it is no surprise that they won it again, it IS news because of how they continue to use their monopoly position to virtually guarantee that they will always win the rights.
Smaller companies will never be able to grow bigger to compete with DSTV because they get "locked out" every time.

Let's say that there are five slots open for the rights bid to broadcast the Olympics in SA....
DSTV will come along and submit a bid in ALL five slots because they have the cash to do so.
Smaller companies can only afford to bid in one slot due to the expense.
So DSTV locks them out because they win all five bids.
Smaller companies are NEVER able to get a foot in.
This goes on year after year and DSTV keeps raising their premium bundle prices because nobody else can ever get the rights...

The sporting broadecasting companies are happy to do this because it means they get the maximum cash in all 5 slots.
If they restricted a company to just one slot, then they wouldn't get as high cash bids in the other slots - less cash income.
They love the monopolies.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I cannot see how this is a good thing. The poor of SA have little chance of seeing the Games.
SuperSport will broadcast the following Olympic events over the next seven years:

Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018
Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022
Olympic Games 2024 – Location to be determined

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
I've recently become ****ing pissed with SABC. they've stopped broadcasting international cricket ( Champions trophy). They've also stopped radio broadcasts of our international tours.

:mad:

No more cricket on radio 2000 sucks.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
If they did not acquire it we could have watched the streams via YouTube...