SuperSport has no plans for pay-per-view events

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
The fight costs $89.95 in SD and $99.95 in HD and people say DSTV is expensive? Lol.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
By making everyone pay for the rights, even those who don't want to watch it?

There isn't a subscription increase in the month for that one fight. Well known the vast majority watch Supersport for rugby and soccer and that is impossible to put on the PPV model.

quovadis

Executive Member
A lot of the packages overseas are fibre/broadband internet with bundled set-top box & cable channels which in a lot of cases is still cheaper than DSTV premium on it's own. If DSTV charged for a sport event on a per-view basis their premium subscribers would revolt.

konfab

Honorary Master
The fight costs $89.95 in SD and $99.95 in HD and people say DSTV is expensive? Lol.

It is expensive because it is a niche audience. Not everyone is interested in watching two neanderthals beat eachother up. The last big fight had 4.4 million Pay per views in the US. Game of Thrones in the US has more than double that, (and that is before you take into account international views).

If it had a larger audience, like the more popular sports, it would be significantly cheaper. DSTV gets around it by forcing all their 2.4 million premium subscribers to buy it. That alone would decrease the costs because it is a forced market.

neoassasin

It is expensive because it is a niche audience. Not everyone is interested in watching two neanderthals beat eachother up. The last big fight had 4.4 million Pay per views in the US. Game of Thrones in the US has more than double that, (and that is before you take into account international views).

If it had a larger audience, like the more popular sports, it would be significantly cheaper. DSTV gets around it by forcing all their 2.4 million premium subscribers to buy it. That alone would decrease the costs because it is a forced market.

I don't understand your Maths. Everyone on the Premium package pays a subscription every month which gets them lots of things including Game of Thrones. Now they are getting something extra and still paying the same. So how does it decrease the costs DSTV has as they had to pay a huge amount of money that they did not need to.

Last edited:

Ebo

There is no way DSTV have the technology to introduce PPV here, they not being nice. They would if they could...

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad

I suppose people who fill the stadiums to watch WWE etc will pay those ridiculous prices to watch two guys slug it out.

neoassasin

There is no way DSTV have the technology to introduce PPV here, they not being nice. They would if they could...

I don't think it's that hard. Open a temporary channel for that event and only allow people who have subscribed to the event to view it like they do with other channels.

marine1

Honorary Master
Fk MC, will find a way to watch online. Will never give those bastards my money again

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Where can I watch it post match? Specifically Sunday afternoon. Will it be already uploaded on YouTube and stuff?

InusB

I see on Channel 211 they show:
Coming Soon: WWE Pay-Per-View
Now I'm not a wrestling fan but this is a sure way to get me to cancel my subscription.

access

Honorary Master
I see on Channel 211 they show:
Coming Soon: WWE Pay-Per-View
Now I'm not a wrestling fan but this is a sure way to get me to cancel my subscription.

i dno hey, when i was still a fan i would have paid to watch some performances live. great entertainment.