Surprise result in South African 4G coverage battle

cavedog

Honorary Master
When are we getting the speed report from mybroadbands tests? The compitition was to increase sample size. That will be an interesting result to see.

koeks525

Expert Member
Vodacom’s score of 72% in OpenSignal’s measurements was followed by Cell C on 68% and Telkom with 66%.
How does Cell C have 68% LTE coverage in the country when they only have LTE networks in CPT, DBN, JHB, PTA and Richards Bay? I am aware of a roaming agreement signed with MTN, but I don't know if its in effect yet.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
How does Cell C have 68% LTE coverage in the country when they only have LTE networks in CPT, DBN, JHB, PTA and Richards Bay? I am aware of a roaming agreement signed with MTN, but I don't know if its in effect yet.
Urbanization[/SIZE]
"Urban areas contain about two-thirds of the population; many of these consist of huge informal or squatter settlements."[38]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_South_Africa
If you calculate by population, then they could be by just covering cities.

Swa

Honorary Master
They definitely have coverage in more than just those cities. It's probably just a geographic moniker like people that live here say they live in Johannesburg.

Sumen

Expert Member
I don't think roaming will apply here otherwise they would have the same coverage as their roaming partner