Surprising revelation in South African cellular satisfaction rate

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Yes. No questions what so ever.
I would ditch Vodacom in a heartbeat.

gjm

I would not say that it is a surprising revelation at all.

Shred

Expert Member
Company Rep
Just waiting for my contract to end then Cell C / 8ta here I come.

Big Sub-Zero

These stats are not reflecting the correct account of the perceptions out there, anything to do with surveys is not to be trusted as only the learned partake in these surveys. Walk to at any village and talk about the huge savings which Cell C and 8ta are passing to consumers and they will laugh at you. Vodacom and MTN are still the best thing after sliced bread, hence their dominance in those respective areas and that will remain so for many years to come.

Last edited:

Hannes

"Surprising" revelation in SA cellular satisfaction rate

Maybe I am missing something here, but the fact that Cell C has a lower number of subscribers (if one discounts the new entrants like 8ta) automatically dictates that they will be the one that will be favored by subscribers leaving the bigger of the two networks (who automatically formed the bulk of the tech savvy 842 people interviewed)...???

JFG069

...Walk to at any village and talk about the huge savings which Cell C and 8ta are passing to consumers and they will laugh at you. Vodacom and MTN are still the best thing after sliced bread, hence their dominance in those respective areas and that will remain so for many years to come.

Fortunately or unfortunately, Vodacom and MTN do not cream their lucrative profits from the village you refer to but from you and me making up 20% of their subs but contributing 80% of the revenue streams.

dougatthewoods

These stats are not reflecting the correct account of the perceptions out there, anything to do with surveys is not to be trusted as only the learned partake in these surveys. Walk to at any village and talk about the huge savings which Cell C and 8ta are passing to consumers and they will laugh at you. Vodacom and MTN are still the best thing after sliced bread, hence their dominance in those respective areas and that will remain so for many years to come.

They only questioned "tech savvy" individuals:

According to the BMI-T survey, which was completed by 842 teach savvy individuals

I would definitely (and am going to) switch to CellC when my contract is up - 50GB's for 365 days + 99c per minute is the best deal for a smartphone right now.

If only there wasn't an early cancellation clause. 3 months to go :(

Mark.K

i bought myself a prepaid cell c card and seem to be using it more and more often. data is crazy cheap and so is the call rates my mtn number i just use for recieving calls. must by a cheap phone to put the mtn sim in cause im tired of them charging crazy amounts and having silly promotions.

On another note my data on mtn seems to go super fast even though i buy data bundles seems kinda fishy for me.

Ap0c

ParcelNinja CEO Justin Drennan
Company Rep
Ported to CellC. Was spending R1.5k+ per month with MTN. Substantially less with CellC, and I use data with no worries of pricing. Overall a much better experience.

I O U

I have to be exceedingly blunt about this - if fools ''insist'' on signing one 24-month contract after the next at the same Service Provider (because they think they're getting such a good deal at the time), then they deserve to stay at that SP.

Customer Service & Billing problems, amongst others, are well documented, especially at the 2 major SP's.

Also, pre-paid deals have improved a great deal (Cell C especially), so in certain instances there shouldn't be a need to sign lengthy contracts - obviously some are signed in order to get a free phone, but you can't (always) have everything !

Conack

Expert Member
Just a note: Spelling error in article reads "teach savvy" instead of "tech savvy". :)

Ported from Vodacom to CellC myself and advising fellows and clients to do the same as long as their office and residence has good coverage (the only snag).

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
11% want to move to vodacom? they're right, this is a surprising revelation.i didn't know so many were keen...

jammio

about 25 days to go and its bye bye MTN hello Cell C

edit : forgot to mention, everyone in my family (5 of us) is porting over as our respective contracts expire.

Last edited:

Haldex

Expert Member
So many people moving to Cell C yet their subscriber base is hardly increasing..?

When of the annual numbers from the cellular companies come out?

Pada

Executive Member
What about some actual stats showing the number of ports from which operator to which over the past few months?!

I can probably go and do this, but it would take me a while, because I just have the latest ported number list and not all the differential ones :(

I contemplated porting to Cell C when my MTN contract expired recently, but I wasn't keen on the hassle involved and Cell C and I actually got more airtime for phone calls with the new MTN contract that I took with my Samsung Galaxy S2.