Suspected rhino poacher killed by an elephant then eaten by lions in South Africa

ponder

Honorary Master
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/07/africa/south-africa-rhino-poacher-eaten/index.html

Suspected rhino poacher killed by an elephant then eaten by lions in South Africa
By Livvy Doherty, CNN
Updated 1037 GMT (1837 HKT) April 7, 2019

(CNN)Only a skull and a pair of trousers remained after a suspected rhino poacher was killed by an elephant, then eaten by lions in Kruger National Park, South African National Parks said.

The incident happened after the man entered the park with four others to target rhinos, according to a parks service statement released Friday.

His family were notified of his death late Tuesday by his fellow poachers, and a search party led by Kruger's regional manager, Don English, set out to recover the body. Rangers scoured on foot and police flew over the area, but due to failing light, it could not be found.

The search resumed Thursday morning and, with the help of added field rangers, what was left of his body was discovered.

"Indications found at the scene suggested that a pride of lions had devoured the remains leaving only a human skull and a pair of pants," the statement said.
Glenn Phillips, the managing executive of Kruger National Park, extended his condolences to the man's family.

Read more...

R13...

Honorary Master
Hopefully the lions **** him and some dung beetles takeover just to complete this satisfactorily.

Segg

Expert Member
Isn't this the incident that happened in the Timbivati last year? I remember reading the newsletter from the affected reserve (who wished to remain unnamed in any social media)

Looks like late reporting to me, unless this is a second incident

John Tempus

Expert Member
I guess the poachers entered the reserve in the dark.

Who would have thought lions would have an advantage, hahahaha.

Cius

Executive Member
The animals are learning from all the news stories about vigilante township justice clearly.

HunterNW

Executive Member
Tell it. I'm intrigued.
These two crocs were having a chat. So the fat one asks the thin one what he eats ? Thin one replies:
"I wait in the water close to where people come and swim.... when they are close i ROAR and eat them".
The fat one replies: " Oh, now i know why you are so thin. You only get the sch!t and tekkies to eat".

eXisor

Expert Member
This suggests a new approach to combatting poachers; train elephants to hunt them down.