• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Suspects on trial for murder and rape of Hannah Cornelius

schumi

Honorary Master
Cape Town - Two suspects are set to appear in the Stellenbosch Magistrate’s Court on Monday for allegedly being found with a car hijacked from a Stellenbosch University student who was found murdered on Saturday.

The body of 21-year-old student Hannah Cornelius was discovered early on Saturday along a road outside of Stellenbosch near a popular wine farm.

Western Cape traffic chief Kenny Africa on Sunday said that it appeared three suspects were arrested for murdering and possibly raping Cornelius.

However, police confirmed two arrests and said this was just for being in possession of the hijacked car.

It does not appear they are investigating a case of rape.

Police spokeswoman Sergeant Noloyiso Rwexana on Sunday said that Cornelius was driving a blue Volkswagen Citi Golf with a young man in Stellenbosch on Friday.

Three unidentified men had then hijacked them.

The young man, also a student, was injured during the incident, but managed to escape from the car.

He was transported to hospital with serious injuries.

However, it was not immediately clear what had happened to Cornelius after that.

Her body was then found on Saturday at 08:30.

It was not immediately clear what had caused her death, but News24 understands injuries were visible on her body.

'Senseless act'

The two suspects, both in their thirties, were arrested after the car was subsequently used in an armed Robbery in Northpine, between Brackenfell and Kraaifontein.

Stellenbosch University Rector and Vice-Chancellor Wim de Villiers said the perpetrators should be “met with the full extent of the law."

"Our campus community is appalled and shocked by this senseless act and our hearts go out to the family and friends of the student who has lost her life and to the injured student," he said in a statement.

"We are very relieved to hear that the SAPS has arrested two suspects in connection with the hijacking.”

De Villiers wished the injured student well, and said the university would do “everything in our power to assist” the police with its investigation.

The university’s division of student affairs, meanwhile, have been in contact with the girl’s parents and has started to provide support to her friends.

News24
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...urdered-maties-students-hijacked-car-20170528

Last edited by a moderator:

marine1

Honorary Master
And we wonder why the Cape has the reputation it has?
Sounds like a replay of the Brett Goldin and Bloom murders

crackersa

Honorary Master
And we wonder why the Cape has the reputation it has?
Sounds like a replay of the Brett Goldin and Bloom murders
I feel safer living in the cape than I have when I lived in jozi.

I do stay away from the flats and other gang areas.

alternate

Expert Member
There is a big problem with drug addicts and gangsters from the surrounding areas in Stellenbosch now.

The town is definitely is not as safe as it used to be.

ponder

Honorary Master
I feel safer living in the cape than I have when I lived in jozi.

I do stay away from the flats and other gang areas.
When I lived in CT I never felt nearly as safe as kzn. That place is rough, saw a guy being stabbed to death at CT station which I'll never forget. Then there's the gangsters & those mofos are scary as hell.