Suspects on trial for murder and rape of Hannah Cornelius

schumi

Honorary Master
Matie murder: Friend jumped over wall to safety

Cape Town - "If I hadn’t jumped over the wall, I would have been dead," a bloodied Matie student who’d been hijacked with his friend in Stellenbosch, told a couple when he’d asked for help.

The friend, Hannah Cornelius, 21, a second year BA student, was found murdered next to the Knorhoek Road outside Stellenbosch on Saturday morning. It’s suspected that she was stabbed with a sharp object before being strangled, an informed source told Netwerk24.

Cornelius and the male student, who hasn’t been named yet, had been chatting in a blue Golf in front of a block of flats in Bird Street, Stellenbosch, on Saturday morning, when they were hijacked. The incident happened between 03:00 and 06:00.

Averal Fortuin and his wife Margaret, of Bernardino Heights, Kraaifontein heard an urgent knock on their back door at about 08:00. “He [the male student] stood there. He was barefoot and covered in blood,” Fortuin said on Sunday.

The young man with curly brown hair was wearing jeans and a rugby jersey and said: “I want to tell my story.” Fortuin was on his way to let him in because the dog had cornered the young man when the police drove past.

He and his wife flagged down the police for help.

Fortuin said the man was “completely disorientated and didn’t know where he was”. They didn’t speak to him after the police had arrived on the scene, and didn’t know his name.

The police “found a lot of stuff in the veld behind the house and took photographs”, Fortuin said.

According to a source, four men had approached Cornelius and her friend. A man armed with a screwdriver opened the passenger door behind the driver and forced Cornelius onto the back seat. Another three men joined him and Cornelius’ friend was locked in the boot.
More at: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/matie-murder-friend-jumps-over-wall-to-safety-20170528

schumi

Honorary Master
WATCH: 2 nabbed after dramatic chase, 3rd arrested for hijacking after Matie was murd

[video=youtube;dC3go3eVxr4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC3go3eVxr4[/video]

schumi

Honorary Master
Murdered Maties student apparently also raped

Cape Town - The case against two of Hannah Cornelius' alleged killers was postponed on Monday in the Stellenbosch Magistrate's Court until July 28 for further investigation.

Netwerk24 reported that according to the charge sheet, Vernon Witbooi, 32, and Geraldo Parsons, 26, also allegedly raped Cornelius before killing her.

Both face charges of murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, motor vehicle theft, rape and abduction. More charges may be added at a later stage.

Magistrate Greg Jacobs ordered that no pictures of Witbooi and Parsons be published in the media until an identity parade is held.

Lecardo Davids, the State prosecutor, said the two faced schedule six offenses. He said they had applied for legal aid representation.

The two also indicated that they would not apply for bail for now.

Raped, stabbed

Jacobs said they had to realise they faced serious charges and if they went ahead with a bail application, the onus would be on them to show the court extraordinary circumstances as to why they should be released on bail.

They would also have to prove to the court that it was in the interests of justice to release them on bail.

Cornelius and a friend, Cheslin Marsh, were hijacked by four men on Saturday in Bird Street, Stellenbosch, where they had been sitting in her blue Citi Golf.

More at: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/murdered-maties-student-apparently-also-raped-20170529

Garson007

Honorary Master
There is a big problem with drug addicts and gangsters from the surrounding areas in Stellenbosch now.

The town is definitely is not as safe as it used to be.
I don't know what happened to Stellenbosch. I used to walk around peop-dronk 24/7. Never got mugged.

When I lived in CT I never felt nearly as safe as kzn. That place is rough, saw a guy being stabbed to death at CT station which I'll never forget. Then there's the gangsters & those mofos are scary as hell.
That's why we have high fences, private security and avoid public transport. Not to mention pay insane amounts of rent.