SUV within R500k budget

nazmo

Expert Member
Tiguan all day every day. class leading build quality, excellent resale (which makes it pricey) and none of the failures of previous generations. Also very light on fuel. Test drive one after driving other options, you will see

aomar296

The R-line is the only good looking one but tough to find in this budget. In the back of my mind, I know the Tiguan is the best but I just find it too similar to my Golf 7. Same platform and same interior. For this kind of money, I'm looking for something fresh also

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
The R-line is the only good looking one but tough to find in this budget. In the back of my mind, I know the Tiguan is the best but I just find it too similar to my Golf 7. Same platform and same interior. For this kind of money, I'm looking for something fresh also
Forester S ES.

Heck even the Renault Koleos Dynamique. Can pick one up new or demo for less than R500k. Also comes fully loaded. Ride and build quality is on par with Audi, never mind VW - I own the Megane on which it's based and can vouch after test driving all it's competitors.

Go test drive them. Don't consign yourself to VAG just because you feel there's no other option. There's plenty options...

aomar296

Checked out the Koleos. Boot capacity is around 450 litre versus 600 on the Haval and 700 on the AllSpace

Quite impressed by the Haval actually but have the obvious reservations which are fading away with the limited info available

GrasKarp

Just remember the Koleos is basically a Nissan X Trail. X Trail is cheaper.

nazmo

Expert Member
we went to toyota, checked out a RAV and CH-R. then walked over to VW to buy a golf 7 gti for the mrs. on the way to the golf, she saw an R-Line Tiguan and fell in love. Its similar yes. but much more spacious. Also remember that the golf 7 (and tiguan) has incredible quality on the inside.

Forester S ES.

Heck even the Renault Koleos Dynamique. Can pick one up new or demo for less than R500k. Also comes fully loaded. Ride and build quality is on par with Audi, never mind VW - I own the Megane on which it's based and can vouch after test driving all it's competitors.

Go test drive them. Don't consign yourself to VAG just because you feel there's no other option. There's plenty options...

I was never a VAG/SUV fan. but am now a convert. but sure, absolutely test every option out there! the tiguan's were also the best resale car of 2020, meaning you wont get many low mileage used for reasonable prices.

Key is test drive and feel the materials and elements inside.

one more note. 4 years. 64 000kms ave' consumption is 7.4 including 2 years of bumper to bumper (pre covid).. that is very hard to beat.

Sumen

Expert Member
Hi all

I've done my research via other threads as well and concluded my only options based on my needs and specs are:
- Used VW Tiguan AllSpace ( actually over budget)
- New Haval H6 3rd gen

My criteria is as follows:
- Turbo charged
- Spacious boot
- Good looks
- R500k max budget
- Good tech and safety features
- Modern interior
- Panoramic sunroof
- Leather seats
- Decent power atleast over 100kw
- New or used with low mileage
- Still under warranty with minimum 1 year left

Which models have I missed and not considered based on above criteria?

Please help

Thanks

Slightly over budget,
2021 Peugeot 3008 https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for-sale/peugeot/3008/allure/26210203

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
These are basically your options for a relatively new sub 500k. 2022 model would be the way to go.

Haval Jolion
Subaru Forester
Nissan X- Trail
Kia Sportage
Mazda CX-5
Renault Koleos,
Mahindra XUV

My pick would be a Toyota RAV4. Ticks most boxes and resale on point.

Leo_

My pick would be a Toyota RAV4. Ticks most boxes and resale on point.
Seriously though. Toyota SUVs really hold their value.

A brand new 2.5 Hybrid retails for R555k. On the used market they’re going for over R600k:crying:

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
Is stock available on all of these? We just sold our EcoSport for way more than it should've been sold for cause there isn't stock available. Apparently Toyota Hilux and Fortuner owners are getting offers of R150k above trade values.

flytek

Expert Member
I would get a good used touareg or Q7.
Will depreciate less over say a 5 year ownership period and probably use the same amount of fuel and anything asian would. Or your original tiguan even if a few years old?